Soundstream SME.650C, any good?

Abilan17

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
I can't seem to find any reviewsI can't seem to find any reviews on this speaker, anybody no if there a good brand or not?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-03 142756.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-03 142756.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 17
The only PA or Pro-style drivers I've ever heard that are worth listening to are from Stevens. These SS like DS18, Massive, MTX, (all of them with few exceptions) as in virtually every PRO style PA style drivers are going to get loud but sound like :poop:. Strictly a SPL, competition LOUD AT ALL COST system, not for daily driving or any SQ/SQL systems.

Thank you so much for your info but I have to say that I'm a newbie to all this and some of the abriviation and or terminolagies you used are forein to me like (PA or Pro-Style Drive),(SPL), (SQ/SQL). I'll be takinig a look at how you Rock -&- Roll!
Thank you

Easy enough.

PA is Public Address, think speech on at the local auditorium or stadium. Pro Style, same thing, outdoor concert. SPL Sound Pressure Level, SQ/SQL, Sound Quality/Sound Quality Level.

Drivers refer to all types of components (speakers if you will. Speaker is a broader term as it can mean a loudspeaker that has 3 "drivers" in it (woofer, midfrange, tweeter) within the "Speaker", a two way car coaxial with a midbass "driver" and a tweeter "driver" co-axially mounted is often referred to as a "speaker" when its actually two drivers that are mount coaxially mounted.

That said, if you putting together a system or just upgrading factory setups, best to start with car, year make and model and what the goal is, what if anything you have already done or purchased and what the end goal is.

Thank you again for sharing your knowlage with me, I really appriciate it. I'm on a bit of a budget but I want to feel the music (just for me). My oldest son just gifted me, (MTX Terminator TNP212D2 Dual 12” Subwoofers+Enclosure+Amp Kit+2 Farad Capacitor" and I'm really liking the way it sounds. and becuase of said budget I'm trying to get the best quality without breaking the bank. My Audi has 2 tweeters in the front dash which I will eventually change, on the front doors it has a tweeter in the upper corners and the mids in the lower corners the same thing for the back doors but in the back doors I only have the tweeters in that upper corners for whatever reason there no mids on the lower doors, which is why I was asking about the Soundstream SME.650C to put 2 set of those. My plan down the road is also to change ot the head unit but I I have yet to start looking into it.

Pro audio drivers are something some people really like and others don't...it'd be one of those things you'd need to try to see if it's your thing

Pro Audio type drivers tend to be loud, but aggressive and harsh sounding - think of the sound you're used to from a loud dance club. You'll need a powerful DSP (digital sound processor) to tame the sound. "Hifi" style drivers are more forgiving, but not as efficient and loud as PA style drivers. CDT is a decent brand to look at.

2012 Audi A4
Here are the speakers options that I see.

1704387677636.png

CDT is a great option and right now on sale. Given that you have comps front an back, couple of things come to mind. RIght now, these are a great buy on eBay, crisp, clear and about $150 off normal rices at $99 a set.

At $20 more than the pro-style SS's, take the Pios in a heartbeat.

From NVX

Their middle line

CDT

Specials page, have a look.

View attachment 55889

CDT is a great option and right now on sale. Given that you have comps front an back, couple of things come to mind. RIght now, these are a great buy on eBay, crisp, clear and about $150 off normal rices at $99 a set.

From NVX

Their middle line

CDT

View attachment 55889

From NVX

Their middle line

CDT

Thank you, 1 thing I had heard that if I wasn't going to put and amp to get the with 90db of sensetivity or higher what are your thoughts.

View attachment 55889

From NVX

Their middle line

CDT

Pro Audio type drivers tend to be loud, but aggressive and harsh sounding - think of the sound you're used to from a loud dance club. You'll need a powerful DSP (digital sound processor) to tame the sound. "Hifi" style drivers are more forgiving, but not as efficient and loud as PA style drivers. CDT is a decent brand to look at.
What does the DSP do?

That's just putting your preferences off on others...I've met several people at the shop that prefer pro audio drivers
Actually, you missed the "Lol", it's actually rhetorical sarcasm, nothing personal.

But here is a fact. You will never get as accurate and SQ oriented sound with inexpensive Pro/PA drivers (or even mid-priced) not gonna happen.

Now if you want to shell out some real serious cash on Stevens drivers, then you are getting somewhere. This is really not subjective unless you (not you specifically, in general) just don't know or have not listened/heard the difference.

They are completely different in design and end goal for a reason, they accomplish different objectives. Maybe it's the Bass guitarist, the keyboard player, the Cellists, the drummer in me, but in a car or living room environment,

This

1704390912190.png

Will never sound as good as this

1704391021573.png

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...