Order of Upgrading?

JB16
10+ year member

New York
I currently have a stock system in 05 Grand Cherokee Laredo, Due to money constraints, I am wondering what would be the best way in upgrading my set 1-2 parts at a time to maximize sound quality/power each step

The Head Unit would be the first definitely? Correct?

However after the head unit i am confused, would i add an amp to maximize the stock speakers i have and then add speakers when i get the cash, or would the other way around be the best way?

Thanks in Advance

I currently have a stock system in 05 Grand Cherokee Laredo, Due to money constraints, I am wondering what would be the best way in upgrading my set 1-2 parts at a time to maximize sound quality/power each stepThe Head Unit would be the first definitely? Correct?

However after the head unit i am confused, would i add an amp to maximize the stock speakers i have and then add speakers when i get the cash, or would the other way around be the best way?

Thanks in Advance
my two cents, i'm no expert, and i'll be watching for other peoples' advice.... in my old car i switched out the head unit, which promptly blew out the stock speakers. i didn't have the cash to buy new speakers, and i was stuck with CRAP music in my car for the next couple months.

THIS time around, in my new car.... it'll be:

1. add sub, pushed by amp from old car.

2. new internal speakers

3. (head unit would be here, but i have an acceptable bose one which would be ridiculously expensive to replace anyway)

4. 5-channel amp to push internal speakers and sub

go with a new h/u, dont skip out on a cheap one, after that i would upgrade the speakers, then an amp for the speakers, then sub and amp...but if you are looking for major power i would upgrade your electrical first...

I'd get a new h/u first, definitely.

Then save up and buy your front speakers and amp at same time, along with the wiring. [some higher end speakers don't do the greatest on head unit power, but others might be fine.. so you could get by with just speakers first, then amp for them.]

Then work on your substage. Any order is fine for this, since it only goes in when you have everything lol.

Sound Deaden

HU

Sub stage

Front Stage

IMO a stock system in a properly deadened vehicle will sound better than any of the other steps in an undeadened vehicle.

it depends on the factory system-

with most factory premium systems i recommend amping the stock door speakers prior to replacing the door speakers.

can really do alot with good stock infinity or bose speakers with a good hu and amp

Get the best LOC that you can- most likely it will run you close to $100 for one that works with what I assume is the Infinity OEM system and has at least 4 channels of output for future expansion.

To this, I would take the 2 rear channels and use them to add an amp and sub. If you plan to add multiple amps, then get your dedicated sub amp at this time, OR get an amp that you can use for the sub now, and then move it to front stage later and upgrade the dedicated sub amp as budget allows. When you do this phase 2 upgrade, upgrade your front stage speakers and either move the old amp to the fronts or get a new amp to run the fronts.

I'd leave the rears in place, since if you have the Infinity system they are notorious for being a PITA to use aftermarket speakers with the OEM amplification.

If you decide to move forward, phase 3 would be a new HU (at that point you will lose your steering wheel controls, etc, if you have them) and the option of replacing your rear speakers and running them directly off of the HU. You could also get a PAC adapter (if available) to retain your steering wheel controls with the new HU.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Just a few more questions, I am kinda new to this and the abbreviations, but what does LOC mean?

Also about sound deadening, how much would that run me at a shop?

Anyone more input would be awesome as well

Thanks

I would add sound deadening last. I know it makes a difference but I havent done it yet and my stereo is pushing 1200 watts. I now need it and bad(rattles) but you need some bling to get you interested to spend moe money! I would also say get rid of the stock hu first. This was my mistake. After changing it out my whole system came alive. Its been mahem since.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

id say depending on the car, sound deadening may not be neccessary

first thing is big 3 cause it only costs a couple bucks

then id just save up and buy the headunit, front amp, and front components all at the same time

then save up again and buy your lowend amp, sub, and enclosure

kick ass system : )

its much smarter to package things then lego build your system (i learned the hard way)

id say depending on the car, sound deadening may not be neccessary
first thing is big 3 cause it only costs a couple bucks

then id just save up and buy the headunit, front amp, and front components all at the same time

then save up again and buy your lowend amp, sub, and enclosure

kick ass system : )

its much smarter to package things then lego build your system (i learned the hard way)
Name one car that doesn't need deadening...keep it under $100k to be fair.

i put a system in my friends is300 and another's 06 civic and they both sound amazing with absolutely no deadening
they might sound better w/ but who cares
I'm guessing the Civic sounds amazing when parked with the engine off. Otherwise, we have much different ideas of amazing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.