Powering a JL 8w7

ajm
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
N/A
I just purchased an 8w7 for a vehicle where space and weight are limited. Weight being more important than space. I've been shopping around trying to find an amp to match this thing to and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions?

So far I'm eyeing the following two.

JL jx1000

Rockford T750X1BD

Thanks

Thanks for all the quick replies. I have also looked into a kicker kxa800.1 but they seem to be hard to find in stock. This is the first jl product I've used so not very familiar with details, how do their woofers tend to handle being overpowered? I'd love to get a Jl RD1000/1 but seems as if it would be a bit too much and the smaller version not enough. As far as a budget goes I'm not really limited but would like to keep it under 500 as this will be going in a purpose built drag car that my wife and I occasionally take for a ride down the street in the summer (375 miles in the last 7 years including track passes) so i don't want to invest a whole hell of a lot in something that won't be used much and after all she's the one that convinced me to add some sound which I figured I would since a few extra lbs won't hurt too much.

Thanks again I appreciate the replies.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I have also looked into a kicker kxa800.1 but they seem to be hard to find in stock. This is the first jl product I've used so not very familiar with details, how do their woofers tend to handle being overpowered? I'd love to get a Jl RD1000/1 but seems as if it would be a bit too much and the smaller version not enough. As far as a budget goes I'm not really limited but would like to keep it under 500 as this will be going in a purpose built drag car that my wife and I occasionally take for a ride down the street in the summer (375 miles in the last 7 years including track passes) so i don't want to invest a whole hell of a lot in something that won't be used much and after all she's the one that convinced me to add some sound which I figured I would since a few extra lbs won't hurt too much.
Thanks again I appreciate the replies.
No such thing as to much power. You will never get what it says anyway and it can always be backed off.

I really like the look of the RDs but I'd need 2 4 channels and the 1k.

So based on the above the jl amps do not come with a proven birth sheet etc similar to that of kicker and the old mtx's and are over rated?

I belive the Rd 500/1 will be the ticket. I keep having to remind myself that the main purpose here is a little setup that sounds nice and has the ability to make some noise on occasion so based on the features the rd has that are very fitting for my application I think I will take the hit of underpowering the sub by 150w for the convenience of features.

The adjustments on the top of the amp are a MAJOR plus due to where it will be mounted, the size is perfect, and I really like the idea of the easy gain setting. I'd go with a 1000/1 but I'm weary of smoking the little thing throwing 800rms to it.

Are there still reputable guys on here that will design boxes for some money over PayPal? I understand jl offers specs but I am in need of a box design with a round port and where the front is angled (no measurements yet but about 15 degrees).

You know the RD 500 is only a few hundred watts at 3ohm?

And no birth sheet but they don't mean anything anyway. It's a dynamic test on a test bench with a battery bank and resistor.

I would stick with jl amp. Better amp suitable for that sub at such a weird ohm load. It would sound a lot better with full rms from said amp rather than 2/3 of the power from another amp.

I ran an 8w7 with a variety of amps...from the sub channel of an HD900/5, an HD750/1, and even an HD1200/1.

The sub sounded very good with 500...it sounded fking great with 750....it sounded amazing with 1200 BUT it got real stinky after about 15 minutes (definitely pushing the thermal limits above 1krms).

I would suggest the RD1000...the 8w7 will chew up 800rms and love it!

Actually I DO NOT suggest either of the RD amps...they both have fixed subsonic filters @30hz...this (in my opinion) is a BAD thing....you need an amp with a VARIABLE subsonic filter (if going ported). If running the 8w7 sealed then the SS filter is irrelevant.

If you are going ported then definitely go with the 500/1 Slash series...VERY good signal processing tools on that amp and they are very under-rated.

JL 8w7 in 1cube tuned to 32hz [Grey - 30hz ss filter 24db] [blue - 21hz ss filter 24db]

s1pb91.jpg

33emp39.jpg

The 9 hertz difference in SS setting provides the 8w7 the ability to utilize ALL of is linear excursion where the 30hz filter basically cuts off it's balls. At 20hz the system set at 21hz SS is 9db louder, at 30hz it's 4db louder, and at 40hz it's 2db louder...and all while staying within linear x-max.

People don't seem to pay much attention to what a correctly set SS can do for a ported sub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.