pros/cons, tips, and advice for sticks please:)

espguitarist91
10+ year member

yep
Well, im going to be getting my first car soon(within a coupole months) and ive been looking at getting a 5 speed because of the cost and the 2 mpg higher:eek:(amazing, i know) Well ive read a lot of about manual transmissions and I think i know pretty much the basics. Ive driven manual ATV's so I know the basic operation of the clutch and gas. But i just want little tips from experienced stick drivers, tricks of the trade(of driving:confused: ). Also I would like opinions on whether to go for it or just get an auto. Id prefer manual as it just looks fun, but whatever works. Theres not really any hills where I live and i wont be driving in many situations where I would encounter traffic, so i believe it should be fine. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i loved my 5 speed s-10. it was hella fun. dam good times. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif of course i prefer shifting when i want, as opposed to an auto. idk. i just prefer a stick over an auto any day. just don't shatter 2 gears and lock it in gear like i did.

sticks are hella fun but some times can be a pain, youll learn lots of stuff as u get better ie: down shifting, when to shift, rpm limits all that good stuff!!

Yea, theres a lot I dont understand right now(ie. heel and toe, downshifting, hills, etc.) I think with time it should become clear. I have no one to teach me or any car to practice on, so i hope i dont ruin the clutch if i end up getting one.

i've never owned an automatic because when it comes down to it, i prefer driving stick. if i were to often be in heavy traffic, stop and go situations then it would be time to consider automatic because at that point, the wear and tear from constantly slipping the clutch and the annoyment trying to select a gear becomes the main concern

i do mixed driving, sure i hit some traffic but theres till enough occasions that i'm on normal local roads, highways, etc. another thing to consider is what kind of vehicle you are going for. some vehicles arent even offered as a manual, which is one consideration. in most sporty cars i have more fun driving manual, rev matching downshifts and keeping it in power range. manual muscle cars are a blast to slam gears in. now if i wanted a vehicle to be used almost exclusively for straightline speed, i'd probably end up with an automatic for consistency purposes.

yeah revmatching is great. also, you can downshift gears to help slow down on hills/grates if needed to (just like semis). there is alot to learn, and you gotta multi-task (shifting while turning, and watching the traffic to make sure you're clear), braking while clutching and downshifting (or just pop in neutral and just use the brake, then pop it in first or 2nd if at a complete stop). i've actually started out in 3rd and 4th gear before. hella hard to get going til i realized what happened. then just downshift to a lower gear. i still wish i had my truck. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

oh wow def get a stick i regret not waiting to find a stick lude everyday. sure its hard as hell to deal with traffic, eating, drinking, or talking on the cell but man is it fun to drive. butttt you do pay more money for certain things that you wouldnt have to deal with if you had an auto so if thats youre main reasoning for getting a stick then screw that. also it depends on the car ive heard that the new gti's auto is amazing and has an amazing manual option to switch into. as for tips just get in and practice. things will just come natuarally.

Well, about the car, i dont really care what i get, but the price range is rather low considering this will be my first car. Maybe about 3500 tops, not sure though. I was looking at mid to late 90's contoures because theyre cheap and a lot are stick. But ive heard some bad things about their trannies, but not sure if that applies to manual too. also looking at older hondas as a lot are stick, but those are usually loaded with miles. Basically anything that comes up, i would like it to have decent gas mileage, but rather not have a 4 cylinder.

a manual is fun, but eventually you don't even have to think about it anymore, and it's just a pain in traffic.

I'd prefer an auto for a daily, honestly.

Stick for a weekend toy, tho.

Ill be a student for a rather long time, so I dont plan on doing too much driving. School and back, work and back(when i get a job), and just other things. If its a short distance ill walk to save gas:)

True. So its leaning even more towrds stick. Now i just have to wait and save..............a lot..........//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.