PRV8MB700FT-NDY-4 or Blam L200P for doors

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jeremy1971

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Crew cab. I want to install 8" door speakers that will get LOUD. I just ordered a Helix V12 Amp/Dsp and want to use this to run six Blam LFR80 3 inch midrange in each front door (see links), one in each dash corner and two in the rear head liner. I will also have a tweet in each front sail. My problem is I don't know which 8" speaker to choose. The PRV8MB700FT-NDY-4 are 4ohm and claim they can take 350 watts at 70hz-5600hz and 98db sensitivity. The Blam L200P 8" midbass are 2ohm and claim 100 watts at 40hz-25khz with a sensitivity of 94.4db. I like clarity, but really want these to get loud. I also have a Down For Sound (D4S JP284) 284x4 @4ohm amp that I may use if I choose the PRV speakers. What do you suggest would be louder with good clarity?

Last edited:

I'd do these over the prv and I think performance wise they'd be close to the blams

I'd do these over the prv and I think performance wise they'd be close to the blams
Thanks! The reviews were fantastic and the price was even better! Bought 4 of the MB8s and Evil 1 Tweeters. Now I need a 3.5" to complement them and I'm done. My truck has seven 3.5" speakers. Like I said, I want LOUD but clarity too.

Thanks! The reviews were fantastic and the price was even better! Bought 4 of the MB8s and Evil 1 Tweeters. Now I need a 3.5" to complement them and I'm done. My truck has seven 3.5" speakers. Like I said, I want LOUD but clarity too.
I got a set of them waiting for me to find a new ride 😂

They are really good from 100-150 up, can't be beat for the $$ fo sho! I can't see where you'll need or find a 3" that will add or even keep up with the Stevens drivers. They perform well into the upper octaves (4-6k) no need for a mid at all. Which tweeters again? Evil silks? Maybe a change to a pro style compression at around 6K might be the trick.

They are really good from 100-150 up, can't be beat for the $$ fo sho! I can't see where you'll need or find a 3" that will add or even keep up with the Stevens drivers. They perform well into the upper octaves (4-6k) no need for a mid at all. Which tweeters again? Evil silks? Maybe a change to a pro style compression at around 6K might be the trick.
What about from 10k - 20khz? Nothing other than the tweeter? I've never heard or used a compression and I don't know that it would even fit to be honest. What brand and model? I'm not familiar with them.

What about from 10k - 20khz? Nothing other than the tweeter? I've never heard or used a compression and I don't know that it would even fit to be honest. What brand and model? I'm not familiar with them.
Generally speaker-ing, tweeters are designed for use between around 2-3k to 25k. I asked about the Evils cause what I found is for a silk dome tweeter. The Stevens is really a Pro (PA) Style mid/midbass driver and the evils are a pretty straight forward SQ/SQL tweeter. The stenevnbs is one of the few PA pro style drivers that I think sound awesome too. Most are pretty loud, but brash, not great for SQ, just loud in your face as are most pro style drivers. If you like the sound of the silks, you'll likely not care for compression tweeters (bullet tweeters). BUT, they do get loud.

There are few from Jbl that play hard between like 1.5k and 20k., they are spendy for sure but super efficient and LOUD!

Here is an example of a compression driver/tweeter.

As you can see, they are rated for 2-20k and are super efficient, and 175% louder (109db) than the Evil silks (93 db) at the same wattage. I don;t care for the sound and now that i see what you are liking, don't recommend you even consider compression (PA) style drivers.

In your setup I would cross the Stevens at no higher them 3500-4000 (5k at the highest) and let the tweeters pick up from there.

IMHO, the Stevens are really designed with a 2-way setup in mind.

Generally speaker-ing, tweeters are designed for use between around 2-3k to 25k. I asked about the Evils cause what I found is for a silk dome tweeter. The Stevens is really a Pro (PA) Style mid/midbass driver and the evils are a pretty straight forward SQ/SQL tweeter. The stenevnbs is one of the few PA pro style drivers that I think sound awesome too. Most are pretty loud, but brash, not great for SQ, just loud in your face as are most pro style drivers. If you like the sound of the silks, you'll likely not care for compression tweeters (bullet tweeters). BUT, they do get loud.

There are few from Jbl that play hard between like 1.5k and 20k., they are spendy for sure but super efficient and LOUD!

Here is an example of a compression driver/tweeter.

As you can see, they are rated for 2-20k and are super efficient, and 175% louder (109db) than the Evil silks (93 db) at the same wattage. I don;t care for the sound and now that i see what you are liking, don't recommend you even consider compression (PA) style drivers.

In your setup I would cross the Stevens at no higher them 3500-4000 (5k at the highest) and let the tweeters pick up from there.

IMHO, the Stevens are really designed with a 2-way setup in mind.
I really appreciate the input and information. I was wanting loud with clarity. It seems the Stevens MB8s were the right way to go. Ive not been in car audio since '92 so please forgive me if I'm wrong...But if I'm understanding you right you're saying use only the MB8s and tweeters. Nothing else? That seems so foreign to me.

I really appreciate the input and information. I was wanting loud with clarity. It seems the Stevens MB8s were the right way to go. Ive not been in car audio since '92 so please forgive me if I'm wrong...But if I'm understanding you right you're saying use only the MB8s and tweeters. Nothing else? That seems so foreign to me.
Well, that depends. I'm a fan of the Stevens product. I would personally opt for their SA6CS or SA6CS-A to get those midbass drivers down to around 65-70 (where a sub picks up the duty) as they will play lower than the 8" inch semi pro-style midbass drivers, just a different design, for different applications. Since you have a great set of tweeters, AND have purchased the 8's then yes that is all you need for great sound for the 100 hz to 20k+ frequencies for sure.

Most 3-way setups are better, for staging but can be more persnickety to tune if the driver location isn;t just right (tru for 2-ways too). You mentioned having multiple mids and tweeters all around, not usually a sound quality setup.

Do you want the truck to be loud like you're in a outdoor concert with all if it's trappings (and limitations frequency wise) or loud like a concert through a set of headphones - therein lies the difference. Hard do to both.

It's important to qualify that part of the equation.
In your situation, you'll now need subs that will pick up the slack from that 20-30hz low end all they way up to around at least 100hz given the range of the Stevens drivers you have. That's not a critique, just an observation with an eye on the outcome, full-range as well as loud sound. Midbass from 80 to 150 is the hardest stuff to do and you're close with the Stevens drivers, need to consider what the next step in the system needs to be. Fortuantely, your not dealing with putting a sub in a trunk where that outptut to 100hz is VERY difficult to do. I'm thinking 1 or 2 low profile tens or Si 11's​

OR maybe three or four 8's under the seat, all good options. You've got a good start and those subs are just a n example, there are a lot for 25% of the cost of the Si units, including the box.

I currently have four 8" G2 Dynamic subs with a Synergy Audio WFO 3.1d amp. I was thinking of dropping down to two or three subs for more air space and lower hertz.
With the same G2 drivers? Not following. Hard to get lower with less cone area from the same drivers in a bigger box, not thinking that is going to do the trick.

Couple of these might though ;)

With the same G2 drivers? Not following. Hard to get lower with less cone area from the same drivers in a bigger box, not thinking that is going to do the trick.

Couple of these might though ;)

I was thinking of getting two DD 2508G in a ported box. Would two BM-11's down firing sound better? Ported or sealed. I know they would be "cleaner", but I love some deep bass!

I was thinking of getting two DD 2508G in a ported box. Would two BM-11's down firing sound better? Ported or sealed. I know they would be "cleaner", but I love some deep bass!
Gin, harder to get more bass from half the cone area. Going to two 8" anything from 4 is a now win situation. If you consider you had 4 powered by 3500 watts or 875 each. Dropping to two you would need to power the two with 3500 watts each to reach the same output as the four 8's at 875 each. Not thinking that is a reasonable expectation.

The Si 11's are an SQ driver that will play plenty low in a .6cubic foot sealed box, they are not geared towards ported at all.

Two 11's are going to be close but will have slightly less cone area. I would consider keeping the 4 8's you have or moving to a couple of 12's

With that 3500 watts, may want to consider some really good low profile 12's

If not and you have the room...

A pair of these in the ohm rating you want

In one of these with the double baffle

A little bigger box

And a pair of these 15's

Now your talking low and loud! Heard that box and those 15's today, guys RAM 2500, box where the back seat normally is - impressive to say the least.

Last edited:
I can't do the larger subwoofers. I have 2 kids that sit back there and I need the room. I'll stick with what I got. I did however pick up a set of these tweets. I'm hoping I can fit them somewhere. I may have to customize my A-pillars.

I can't do the larger subwoofers. I have 2 kids that sit back there and I need the room. I'll stick with what I got. I did however pick up a set of these tweets. I'm hoping I can fit them somewhere. I may have to customize my A-pillars.

Sounds (pun intended) like a plan! Excelsus have some very nice tweeters indeed! No issues with that selection at all!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...