Pvc pipe port in a small box

evil_lies

Texas
I would like to build the smallest possible box to maximize trunk space. I am thinking about running a single 8" sub. I know the ports are tricky in a small box. Am I able to curve the port and even run 90 Degree bends to build it up onto we second level if that makes sense? Would this make the port innefficient?

I would like to build the smallest possible box to maximize trunk space. I am thinking about running a single 8" sub. I know the ports are tricky in a small box. Am I able to curve the port and even run 90 Degree bends to build it up onto we second level if that makes sense? Would this make the port innefficient?
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=w1WK4dFs&id=5740B5E59C4CEB4A2C1A47E6003622CD37619FEA&thid=OIP.w1WK4dFsJ-AX-ErSLN0wEAEsDa&q=bent+pvc+ported+box++&simid=607990714386745798&selectedIndex=211&ajaxhist=0

this is pic i was trying to find, u can bend pvc inside box or do same outside makes no diff where port is as long as it stays same size.. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=7mZgcN%2f5&id=0B491B0B6E7D7313473982673CE7B6659888B5DB&thid=OIP.7mZgcN_5kWs3z0eKLw0EUwEsDh&q=subwoofer+pvc+port+outside+of+box&simid=608013456254042658&selectedIndex=214&ajaxhist=0

You better model those subs to see how they do in any ported box... if it's a single 8" especially... that's not a lot of cone and you'll likely want to get as much possible out of it.

You better model those subs to see how they do in any ported box... if it's a single 8" especially... that's not a lot of cone and you'll likely want to get as much possible out of it.
I am looking at the American Bass VFL. Do you think I would be better sealed? That would be easier.

I am looking at the American Bass VFL. Do you think I would be better sealed? That would be easier.
I'm a ported box guy... used to utilize sealed then changed up... I'm pretty sure that you'll get louder with a ported box but tastes vary and power will have an effect as well.

Hmm... Does it matter how many ports you have?
omg yeah man u may need to let someone design it or u gonna mess up., u have to learn a lot to do your own... port tuning is based on box size port size and length and # of ports., example if a box with 1 3" round port was tuned to 35hz and u add 2nd port tuning may go up to 55hz, to keep same tune both ports have to be twice as long.. best to use 1 port usually

How small are you thinking... I took a stab at it using Torres and I would not go smaller than 1.25ft3 net personally... this is tuned to 36hz and ported out the side... 1- 4" Aeroport 18"-19" long... 12h x 24w x 12.5 d externally... NOT what I'd call small... Anyone have any input?... I THINK this will work fine but I'd love to hear someone weigh in with Yea or No... I really think that to get some reasonable output in this case you'll need to box it a little bigger than you're thinking. Unless your just looking for a little bit... to go LOW usually takes some space... I've tried compromises before and it never works out.

Last edited by a moderator:
omg yeah man u may need to let someone design it or u gonna mess up., u have to learn a lot to do your own... port tuning is based on box size port size and length and # of ports., example if a box with 1 3" round port was tuned to 35hz and u add 2nd port tuning may go up to 55hz, to keep same tune both ports have to be twice as long.. best to use 1 port usually
No, I get that, but if I calculate it would it matter if I ran 2 ports? What about 3 or 4? I just wasn't sure if multiple shorter ports were possible instead of 1 longer one.

How small are you thinking... I took a stab at it using Torres and I would not go smaller than 1.25ft3 net personally... this is tuned to 36hz and ported out the side... 1- 4" Aeroport 18"-19" long... 12h x 24w x 12.5 d externally... NOT what I'd call small... Anyone have any input?... I THINK this will work fine but I'd love to hear someone weigh in with Yea or No... I really think that to get some reasonable output in this case you'll need to box it a little bigger than you're thinking. Unless your just looking for a little bit... to go LOW usually takes some space... I've tried compromises before and it never works out.
you need to use torres in conjunction with winisd. 3 inch aeros are usually more than good enough for 8s. 4 inch aeros are more for beefy 10s and some low X max 12s.

You usually just need enough port area to avoid compression and port noise which is under 30 meters per second. Too much port area can cause power handling problems and unloading of the subwoofer along with nasty peaks and enclosure fitment issues. Massive port area is better for spl builds with a lot of space or a burp box with low airspace and high port area.

Yeah, that's why I wondered if I could snake the port around inside the box. That box size you quoted could be feasible. I just don't want to kill my trunk space with a box. Honestly, I'm trying to figure out if the 8" is the way to go. I might just be better off with a sealed 10". I have an old one that I liked when I ran it 10 years ago, but it's an 8ohm sub and reducing my power from an amp is frustrating me. If I got rid of it I could get a lower resistance sub and just run it all off a 5 channel amp. The sub I have know is rated for 250 @ 4ohms, so I'm looking at 500 watts just to run it, and that seems inefficient.

you need to use torres in conjunction with winisd. 3 inch aeros are usually more than good enough for 8s. 4 inch aeros are more for beefy 10s and some low X max 12s.
You usually just need enough port area to avoid compression and port noise which is under 30 meters per second. Too much port area can cause power handling problems and unloading of the subwoofer along with nasty peaks and enclosure fitment issues. Massive port area is better for spl builds with a lot of space or a burp box with low airspace and high port area.
Now I just gotta learn Winisd... I've got the tutorial but am having all sorts of problems entering parameters and when It finally does take them I get more errors trying to open a project... Oh well, I guess I'm going to get it eventually... Thanks for weighing in!... I'll get it eventually... I built boxes for years and used the manufacturers listed box specs... I've seen firsthand what designing with Winisd can accomplish and I'm crazy to learn it. Darn, I just learned Torres and was hoping that in used in conjunction with Triticum's port calculator I'd be golden... Guess not... Winisd it is!

Why not run 1 10" sealed if you need tiny space but decent output?

I love a good 8" build but the port on many of the better 8's kills the tiny box and doubles in size just to fit enough port area and get the tuning low enough for daily listening

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.