Question about HU fitment

NonEvo
10+ year member

tx
When I go on crutchfield it filters out some of the headunits because they supposedly dont fit my car. Beside the obvious reason of single and double din, why would a HU not fit. For example, I am looking to get an Alpine HU but some of their single dins fit my car and some dont. What is the difference

What car do you have ?

And what models are it listing as not able to fit?

Could be a depth issue. Not enough rearward clearance for the headunit. Just a guess without knowing more details.

Possibly not enough room depth-wise. If you're car has a stock tape player, an aftermarket CD player might not fit since they are generally a little longer than tape players.

My car is a 2004 Mitsubishi lancer and I have the OEM 7 speaker package with subwoofer. I am totally replacing the factory system with all aftermarket stuff. I was looking to get the alpine 9860 or 9861, but they dont fit. however, almost every other alpine will fit. the only difference between the other alpines is that the 9860/61 read dvds.

Some head units have issues up front (the JVC AVX1 is bigger than usual, a single DIN slide out radio as well).

As already mentioned, depth. Some radios you can't remove the trim ring (pretty usual now, but maybe your car needs an ISO and can't take a DIN radio).

Juan

I had a weird issue with Crutchfield's fitment as well. They said my Alpine 9855 would not fit due to a depth issue. I bought it anyway and figured I'd make it fit somehow.

When I took the stock radio out there was a freakin' cavern behind it, I could have mounted 2 of the CD players back there.

this is what crutchfield had to say, but I dont know how easy it would be to fabricate a bracket.

"You need to use the factory mounting brackets in your Mitsubishi when

installing an aftermarket receiver, and neither Alpine receiver will

line up properly with those brackets. It may be possible to fabricate some

type of brackets to install the Alpine receiver, but this would fall

under the category of a custom installation and I'm afraid we can't be of

much help with that. I wish I had better news for you there."

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.