question on changing front stage

Bgfx
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Texas
I currently have Id ctx65cs components in with the tweeters mounted on the a pillars being run by a cadence zrs c9, they sound pretty good but I have been hearing all the hype around the jbl ms62 and was thinking of trying them out. Do yall think it would be a decent upgrade or are they about the same?

Not a change I would make unless I just had money to blow and was just seriously curious about the JBLs...

I consider it a lateral move. Personal preference between the two is the deciding factor.

Wouldn't the install be the deciding factor. How they are installed. How the car is sealed off and such.
Thats the case with any set he chooses.

From what it seems, he's content....but curious. Maybe if he weren't content already, the install would be where to look...

I haven't sealed the doors yet (I know, I know its not optimal) But I had to make brackets out of mdf to convert the 6x8 hole to fit the component woofer. I did use duct seal to decouple the bracket from the door and the woofer from the bracket I made.I am looking at deadening the doors I just haven't heard back from the guy on sds..5 emails and not one answer so I will probably be looking into more options. I was just curious if the ms62 are that much better but my money may be better spent on sound deadening.

I haven't sealed the doors yet (I know, I know its not optimal) But I had to make brackets out of mdf to convert the 6x8 hole to fit the component woofer. I did use duct seal to decouple the bracket from the door and the woofer from the bracket I made.I am looking at deadening the doors I just haven't heard back from the guy on sds..5 emails and not one answer so I will probably be looking into more options. I was just curious if the ms62 are that much better but my money may be better spent on sound deadening.
From what I have read. Its 90% install and 10% product/brand.

Deaden the doors as much as you can. Optimal is 3 layers of deadener.

Have pods made for the component. Find out what size you need by the crossover frequency you want them to play at.

Use weather stripping 1" around the component to keep the sound from causing phase problems.

keep hope alive is a great guy for advice on how to go about all of that. He is the one who is helping me.

yep, if you have money to spend, spend it on deadener. spend it on the install. try to make your door behave like a speaker enclosure. think about how rigid and acoustically dead a home tower speaker is (a good one). the main difference between a $1,000 home audio tower and your car door is the enclosure. the speaker quality is similar (roughly $20-50 per driver).

my build log has plenty for you to see and try. after you've perfected the door, then you can justify experimenting.

yep, if you have money to spend, spend it on deadener. spend it on the install. try to make your door behave like a speaker enclosure. think about how rigid and acoustically dead a home tower speaker is (a good one). the main difference between a $1,000 home audio tower and your car door is the enclosure. the speaker quality is similar (roughly $20-50 per driver).
my build log has plenty for you to see and try. after you've perfected the door, then you can justify experimenting.
I can't wait to get my build started. The snow is still on the ground. But spring is close. I ended up pulling the trigger. I bought the P99RS.

Great I will check out your log thank you for pointing me in the right direction

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.