"SQ" System has no rear component?

Maven
10+ year member

Ive heard quite a few very nice(imo) systems that were "merely" a front stage and a sub. And from what Ive sen this is also the layout preferred for SQ competition. At the few low-mid level audio stores Ive visited Ive gotten nothing but odd looks when Ive discussed that I dont feel I need "rear fill" in my Chevy Cobalt to get the sound I am looking for. Many salesmen tell me that it will sound wrong without some midbass ore even complete component sets in the rear BESIDES the sub. Any thoughts on this? I am correct, I have heard amazing systems without "rear fill" havent I? or is the preferred setup 4 full range channels and a sub? Are these little shops just trying to sell me sh!t?

I have planned on using a Tru Technology S44(in 3ch "mode"), Dynaudio Esotec 242's, and (as of now, with little input) either a JL 10w6 or a Morel Elate10. Am I off my rocker and making a total noob mistake or is my system as well thought out as I think it is?

the sales man is off his rocker... you are 100% correct... besides going for an SQ setup... who cares what everyone else in the car hears...the system is for YOU!

many people on here only have front stage.. granted they may have more than 1 set of components up front...but ONLY up front none-the-less.

Nice choice of equip. BTW!!

those sales people are just trying to milk everything out of you they can, and then probably have one of their shi*ty "install techs" do some bang up job on your overpriced system. The are about as fu**ing smart as a crackhead.

edit: I need a **** cigarette.........

the salesman is exactly that. hes trying to sell you another 300 dollar set of his comps.

ive had all three. a system with only front comps, front and rear comps, and front comps with rear 6x9's and i gotta say the front only sounds just as good and a alot less harsh than 2 sets of comps.

unless you are trying to create a surround sound entertainment system theres really no reason (unless you have a huge car) to have a rear fill. if you have a huge suv and care about how your rear passenger can hear going with only front fill will be good.

it frees up money that you were going to spend on rear and you can spend more on a better front set.

and please dont buy from BB or CC. you are going to spend 300 bucks on something you can get on here for at least half that.

well i have a rear fill and it kinda makes it sound like the back is louder because of the music kinda coming back off the back windshield if that makes any sense..... but i got stupid midbass and great highs coming from two sets of jl xr components...... i didnt feel i needed the back set but i think they would look good.... and they arent bad.....

see....

sorry for the crappy night garage pics..... but i rear fill isnt necessary but it doesnt hurt IMO

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

LOL

and please dont buy from BB or CC. you are going to spend 300 bucks on something you can get on here for at least half that.
I have no intentions of purchasing ANYTHING from a box store like those two.

I never thought about them as "BB" and "CC" before:laugh:

Many factory cars have rear fill or numerous speakers all around and they sound just fine. It's all personal preference, but I do agree that the salesman was just trying to make a buck...

If you feel the need to use rear fill, I think something is probably missing in front of you.

Without very skilled implementation....including driver placement, time arrival, and making sure you cannot locate the speakers..sound coming from behind you will probably ruin the sound coming in front of you. That is, of course, unless you sit in the front seat and look backward. Then, it would be the other way around.

Sound quality competition is all about hearing the music and NOT the speakers. All you have to do is close your eyes.

i just run some Boston Pro 60's in the front off of an Alpine F545. Its cranked pretty much all the way... set at -1db... Sound pretty good, but I could use a LITTLE more.. I think the next time I buy components im gonna get a 3 way system.. I NEED MORE VOCAL ****IT!

i only have a front stage in my car and its fine..you can still hear lyrics in the back, just not as loud as if you where in the front. plus, if you plan on doing a louder set up you wouldnt have to worry about the back speakers bottoming out, unless you want to close them off somehow of coarse. but i prefer just front stage

with my hertz hi energy components, my rear fills were older model type r coaxial... now that i have hertz mlk 165 fronts, my rears are hi energy coaxial. I like having a rear fill, to give it a surround and have something for the rear passengers!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.