Rear fill to Front speaker ratio.....(long)

Pl8er
5,000+ posts

Can you solve it?
I have what I consider a mid-level ok system. Its no where near where I would like it but due to not making a million a month so I can't afford what I want. But what I have is as follows:

Dodge Avenger ES - 96

1 JL 12w3D2- on a US amps 150x running at 350 RMS

Rear speakers 2001 infinity kappa 6X9

Front speakers 5 1/4 PPI component set

Component amp PPI Sedona 65X4

Head Unit- Pioneer Premier 720 (something)

Audiobahn 1 farad cap

1.5 CF box

anyways what I want to know is how can I get to a level of accurace without going all out with cash to get more SQ in the car. Screw loud...I can do that....its easy....I want clear and accurate. The thing I am confused on is rear fill....What percentage should the front be getting power compared to the back? I mean it seems that more sound should come from the front but front speakers are only 50-100 rms and rear speakers can handle huge amounts of power. Should my rear speakers be getting less power than the front? Should the fade be adjusted? I am looking at getting 6.5 focal utopias for the door and putting the 5 1/4's in the panels by where the passengers and my knees are.....would this be a good idea or not help my problem. Should I look at a different amp? I want warm sound and not so much worried about super bright highs. Thanks for reading all of this!

~justin

You sure do ask alot of questions. Ok, the subs are always going to take more power to push then your highs or mids for the simple reason.....they are bigger. Look at the size of the magnets. Maybe a few ounces for your fronts, and it is not uncommon to see a few hundred ounces for the subs. Also, a simple rule to follow......what you pay is whay you get. If you are totally set on the crispest sound out there...prepare to pay upwards of $600 for a nice componet set like MB Quartz. If you buy everyday kenwood or pioneer stuff that is what you are going to get..an everyday sound. Sure it sounds good but it is not the best by far. It sounds to me like you are set on clearity so I dont think you would be happy in the long run with cheap ****. And your bass should be getting more power than your highs. On my competition system I have 7400 watts in the back and 1200 in the front. Plus the sound waves are shorter with your highs and mids then your bass and dont need as much power to bring them out. Hope this load of bull crap helped you out.

I have placed 2nd in a locally sanctioned USAC event with entirely NO rear fill. Theory is, that if your front stage is properly alligned and tuned- then no other speakers are necessary.

Your best bet is to rid yourself of the rears, and concentrate on the fronts. The kickpannels are an ideal location for your front stage as the signal path is more evenly balanced between your ears-thus producing better imaging/soundstage.

If rear fill can not be omited- remember- it is just that rearFILL keep the wattage very low and even fade the speakers towards the front a little. this should solve your dilemna.

Take it easy,

-zane

Forget rear fill!

get a parts express catalog get some really nice mids and highs.

Spend the total you were gonna on front and rear speakers on just the fronts, then use your 4 channel amp to actively cross them over, hopefully that PPI has the correct crossovers. Or get a decent set of pre matched components and run them active if it is possible.

No rear fill is necessary in my opinion.

I've done several set ups with rear fill, some powered the same all around, some not. I fade to the front, so the sound does not sound like it's coming from the rear. Then it will add to the overall output, but not take away from the front stage.

Will just take a little time to dial it in...

Forget rear fill. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Like others have said, it is fill.

Your sound stage should come from the front, just like a good 2-channel home stereo. Imaging should be at eye level and the stage should be wide, extending beyond the a-pillars. A good pair of fronts can handle anywhere from 100-200+ watts RMS, which is all you really need. Sure you can pour more to them for extra headroom, and if you setup the system properly you won't have any problem with "over powering" your front speakers (again, if you choose a solid front set). The past two car's I've had used a 3-way and then a 2-way component set up front. The 3-way had about 200 watts x channel, and the 2-way (Adire Koda's) had about 300 watts x channel.

If you want proper imaging, forget about rear-fill.

PS: your code is wrong. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif the begining of the break is a simple "

" and the end of the break should have the / come before the br, so it looks like this ""

...but you don't need that when posting on this board. Just hit the "Enter" button. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.