Rear speaker question

Participant count
  • Participant list

phantom240
5,000+ posts

ALL YOUR INTERNETZ
Okay, ive been reading that the preferred setup as far as front/rear speakers is to have most of your sound from the front speakers, and only filler from your rears, with subs pumpin the bass. Im all fine and dandy with that. My problem is, i like to keep things as stock looking as possible. Well in my car (1991 nissan 240sx hatchback), there were 4x6's all the way around plaguing the cabin area. I built some custom mounts for 6.5's up front (ill post pics if anyone wants to see), but im kinda torn on what to do about rear speakers. Ive bought 2 pairs, and none of them bolt up right, and i cant make any mounts for them cuz of th factory bolt pattern. SO, im stuck either finding speakers that bolt right up (if anyone knows of any.. ive heard pioneers do, but im not sure), use a crossover and a nice tweeter mounted somewhere in the back, or just put some 6x9's in the back with their boxes mounted on top of my subs' box. Well i was looking around, and i can get a set of pioneer 6x9 3 way speakers for pretty cheap. I was wondering if these are any good for jsut "filler" speakers. Im not gonna spend much on the rears, cuz im runnin out of cash fast. Do they have good high range sq? I am also gonna have to make a box for em, so i was thinking maybe make it ported for maximum midbass production, considering they were designed for free air applications. Anyone have any suggestions?

My factory front's were 5x7's and i made a MDF baffle to fit a 6.5" speaker in there. A round speaker will generally sound better than an oval shaped one and a component set will generally sound better than a coaxial/multi- speaker speaker.

Yeah i dont mind 4x6's, but will it bolt right up with factory holes? thats the real question.

And i already made baffles for 6.5's in my door, and they do sound good.

Hear is a though for you. Since you want some rear fill, have you tried 6x9 in enclosed q-logic boxes? I have some in my rear hatch and they sound great, and you can't see them at all at any angel unless you open the hatch. Alpine type S . Just a though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

well if you already have the 6x9's go for it. Although I would have just suggested 4x6's for rear fill. but its your car, so if it sounds good to you...screw what everyone else thinks:)

see 4x6's arent out of the question. The car originally had 4x6's in the rear, but they had a funky shape to em that newer 4x6's dont have and the screw holes dont line up with them even with the adapters. I cant make a MDF baffle for the rear or i cant use the factory speaker covers, which would make it look hella ugly, so 6x9s seemed to be the most logical choice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.