Recommend high SQ 6.5" door speakers running from stock Amp

K24A3

AUS
My car (Audi) has 6.5" 4 Ohm paper speakers in the front doors, they sound ok but they are lacking in mid frequencies.

I'm after high quality sound, not loudness. So I dont really need an aftermarket Amp. I dont want the doors to rattle. I will add sound deadening.

The standard 10 speakers (includes a cheap 10" sub) is 180w. I assume the stock 6.5" speakers are running at about 15-25w RMS.

Glass window clearance depth is 2.3 inches max.

The doors already have tweeters so the new 6.5" speakers don't need built in tweeters. 1-way.

I'm thinking of getting JL Audio or Boston Accoustics.

What do you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be sound deadening the doors to increase mid bass.

SQ of the stock Audi speakers are average, surely I can replace them with better quality speakers to increase SQ without an Amp.

I'll be sound deadening the doors to increase mid bass.
SQ of the stock Audi speakers are average, surely I can replace them with better quality speakers to increase SQ without an Amp.
It don't work like that. Your stock setup is tuned for what's installed. Changing the speakers will change the tune and it might be in a bad way.

Example. Your stock mids rely on a natural roll off. Aftermarket mids might play way higher leading to big distortion.

Only way to deal with that is using a coax but now you have double the high frequencies. Not a good thing.

Ok I think I know what you mean. Its because the stock system is a matched component set with a separate 1-way 6.5" and separate tweeter, the cut-offs and gain in the stock Amp are tuned to that set.

So I guess it's a case of trial and error. A certain brand+model of speaker would be required.

I'll find out what others have installed in the same car to determine the best speaker choice.

Thanks for the help.

Update: Apparently my stock Amp is not tuned for each speaker, full range is sent to the speaker which means any 6.5" speaker will suffice as long as the sensitivity is high and wattage isn't too high. Each speaker has its own cap/crossover.

Plus there are direct drop-ins manufactured by Focal designed to run off the stock Amp and increase SQ significantly.

IS 165VW VW SPEAKER UPGRADE $505 | Focal Car Audio Australia

Thanks. I'll post the results once done.

I will be Amping either the fronts or the rears from the Audison 3 channel in the boot, not sure which one.... probably the front speakers since the rear speakers are basically just 'fillers'.

Thanks. I'll post the results once done.
I will be Amping either the fronts or the rears from the Audison 3 channel in the boot, not sure which one.... probably the front speakers since the rear speakers are basically just 'fillers'.
If you're after that midbass, you definitely need to deaden the doors. If you want SQ, you definitely need an amp. You also want something that can handle a little power because that's what needed for the speaker to dig a little lower. I'd do some research before pulling the trigger. Chances are you don't need to pay $500 to replace the door speakers. People use adapters all the time.

If you're after that midbass, you definitely need to deaden the doors. If you want SQ, you definitely need an amp. You also want something that can handle a little power because that's what needed for the speaker to dig a little lower. I'd do some research before pulling the trigger. Chances are you don't need to pay $500 to replace the door speakers. People use adapters all the time.
I'll definitely deaden the doors and the rear quarter area (it's a 2 door coupe). Number 1 on my todo list.

The panels vibrate excessively when I set the base higher than the lowest level at high volume.

In all honesty the standard Audi speakers actually sound half decent so deadening the doors could make all the difference.

I'll do that first. If i'm still not happy then I'll look into better quality speakers powered by the Audison Amp, and perhaps lower priced efficient 2-ways for the other two speakers running off the stock amp.

I'll definitely deaden the doors and the rear quarter area (it's a 2 door coupe). Number 1 on my todo list.The panels vibrate excessively when I set the base higher than the lowest level at high volume.

In all honesty the standard Audi speakers actually sound half decent so deadening the doors could make all the difference.

I'll do that first. If i'm still not happy then I'll look into better quality speakers powered by the Audison Amp, and perhaps lower priced efficient 2-ways for the other two speakers running off the stock amp.
So do you want sound quality or just better than you have now?

It's a big difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.