Repairing Amps

bigred78797
10+ year member

Audiobahn Junkie
Hey guys, Haven't been here for a while //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.

Heres the issue I have four Audiobahn A8000T amps.... all broken.

Do you think they are fixable? Im not really worried about them as i just purchased a Collossus XX.

One of them the plastic around the +batt terminal is half melted.. so i know he is a heat casualty, as i was running him at 1ohm. Him and A second amp was running at 1 ohm at the time but he made it out the vehicle without breaking. This amp still works but goes into protect after about 20amps of current draw.

The Other three are confusing to me. Oh and the At amp DVM reads around 14V on all these amps when on.

Amp 1: Powers up fine, until the signal input wires are plugged up.. then the Fan winds down and the speakers start to pop every 2 or so seconds. Even after the signal input wires are removed it continues to do that.

Amp 2: As soon as power hits it it goes into protect... protect light VERY dim.. can just barely see it on. This one was VERY strange because i drove around with the amp off the day before due to classical music then the next day when i go to my car... no bass????

Amp 3: Power goes in, it stays in protect. Fan goes really slow.

Could you guys give me some ideas on which components i should check first.

Thanks for the link but not cost efficient... from what i read it would cost me $100 bucks per amp... i can buy new ones for $145 or so.

Gonna be hard to get them fixed at a low enough price to make it worthwhile.

You might just want to sell them as is, and let someone else deal with it.

Im mainly looking to repair them myself.. i have a pretty good electronics background i was looking to make these a good way to get a better understanding of amps. Im mainly just asking for which components i should start looking at first, and where i could buy those at.

Im mainly looking to repair them myself.. i have a pretty good electronics background i was looking to make these a good way to get a better understanding of amps. Im mainly just asking for which components i should start looking at first, and where i could buy those at.

Open them up, see if there are any visible problems.

No one is going to be able to tell you what component is bad on your amp over the internet.
The amps are garbage even if they worked, let them die...

********... it's resistor q68... it's probably just corroded.... if it's not that check the contacts on your fan...

Check those and get back to me.

Opened them all, All seemed fine, Ill check that resistor and get back at you. Well that one that was the heat casualty, that still halfway works, the entire back of the board looked like over cooked solder //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif. I guess when the book says stable at 2ohms i shouldn't run em at 1ohm HARD. Hey U guys know what all is responsible for the protection... I wanna take it off //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Oh and Undercover did you mean resistor R68 or that Semi-Conductor thingy Q68(isn't one). And resistor R68 was fine in all amps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif I guess i need to check every single component... Think it's the MOSFETS?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.