Replacing alternator pigtail connector properly?

Participant count
  • Participant list

njaykaplan
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Another alternator bit the dust today, and i'm going to replace the connector that plugs into my alternator, just incase its grounding out or loose or anything, and i believe one wire goes to the ignition, and one goes to the battery, but does anyone know the proper way to run these? Will it just go to the normal ignition fuse in the fuse box, or directly to the ignition, or what should i do? I'm most likely going to run one to the battery, and the other to the ignition fuse, and hope for the best. Any advice would be helpful, as i can't take it to a mechanic for a week or 2.

Its a lincoln mark viii. But what do you mean cut one at a time? I'm supposed to just cut and reuse the same wires and just change the pigtail? Wouldnt that defeat the purpose if the wires are old and could be damaged?

There are some issues with Ford products having a bad connector on the alternator. I recently purchased a new alternator for a grand marquis and was told that if I did not replace the connector there would be no warranty on the new alt.

The defect is in the connector. The replacement connector kit will have all the necessary items included.

If for some reason that you believe that your wiring in the car is no good then you should seek a professional wiring diagram and break out the good old DMM and start testing/checking.

Its the actual connector itself and not the wiring? I assumed it was the wiring because when i feel the positive battery wire, it feels way too hot. I used to run a couple hundred amps draw with a higher output alternator, and never experienced any heat at all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.