Replacing an aftermarket head unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

bgfield

MD
I have a cheap JVC head unit in my car which is no longer working. I want to replace it, but I don't want to have to pay for a new installation of the mounting kit (and I have absolutely no technical know-how so doing it myself isn't an option).

I figured just buying a new JVC head unit would mean I wouldn't have to go through installation again, but a friend of mine had one (a different model than mine) and we tried it in my car; it fit and everything seemed to work except the display (the clock, etc). We didn't have another car to test it on at the time, so I don't know if there was just something wrong with her unit or if I can't do this.

Before I go out and buy a new JVC head unit, could someone tell me if this would work? Would I need to replace it with the same model, or does it not matter provided it fits the existing mount?

Thanks.

check the wire diagram that comes with the hu or look online, and make sure all ur wires are connected to the aftermarket harness

If you cant replace a headunit you probably dont want to be in this hobby. If its already got the mounting bracket for your car you just have to buy and single din headunit(if thats what it is) and replace it and the wiring harness in the back. Its a simple swap and worth taking on to learn just a thing or two.

your friends wireing plug may be different from teh one you got. if you already had an aftermarket one in there then allt he hard work is done. all u gotta do is pull out the old one. get a new one match the colors from the old hu to the new and ur done. you may have to change the can for the new unit but that's easy as pie

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.