RF 1200 going into protect mode..

Participant count
  • Participant list

kdc_619
10+ year member

I bought a new RF 1200 to replace my hifonics amp. When I installed it(with out speaker wires or rca's. Just to verify it would turn on) it immediately went red, into protect mode. I plugged the old hifonics back in and didn't have any issues..powered right up, again without speaker wire or rca's. Plugged the Rockford back in with every thing plugged in any turned the car on and it played fine. Today while on lunch the bass cut out again with the car off. Turned my car on and it's playing fine. Im not sure if it's a power issue or a bad amp. I have a mechman 240 amp alternator and a Kinetic 1800..all zero Guage wiring. 4 guage going to the amps. Meanwhile, my other Rockford 4 channel has never cut out at all. Still played the mids and highs when the bass cut out..Not sure what's going on..

It's wired for a two ohm load at 800 watts right now as well. Don't know if that helps. At leat until my FI alphas get here..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll check the grounds this weekend when I get time. What are the chances the amp is bad? I had to penny pinch a little bit to get that amp..I'm in the army we don't make that much. I bought it brand new and had it shipped so hopefully it isn't a bad amp or broke during shipping.

Very seldom. However, it also depends who installed it, based upon the owners knowledge and know how. I have seen new amps go bad because of failed installs....not the amps fault. The person/people thought they knew what they were doing and they just ruined their new amp within minutes.

I would go over the installation before returning the amp. Does the RF have inline fuses? If so, I would check them.

Since you rechecked the HiFonics amp and works fine, it could very well be the amp. If it's still under warranty, I would return it after making some troubleshooting things 1st. Hey it happens. Electronics can be finicky.

Also could have a loose connection somewhere. Esp at the inline fuse holder. They're notorious for becoming loosened over time.

I looked up the specs for this rf 1200 and requires a 150 amp fuse holder. The rf 250 4 channel only requires a 50 amp. I think the amps kits a bought had a 80 and 100 amp fuse holder respectively. Would a fuse holder that's not strong enough causes these issues? I'm just trying to narrow down the cause before I start throwing money at it.

I looked up the specs for this rf 1200 and requires a 150 amp fuse holder. The rf 250 4 channel only requires a 50 amp. I think the amps kits a bought had a 80 and 100 amp fuse holder respectively. Would a fuse holder that's not strong enough causes these issues? I'm just trying to narrow down the cause before I start throwing money at it.
No.

Absolutely not.

And I hope you take my suggestion before spending more $$. But hey,it's cool if you do... I can't stop ya.

Your playing it with the car off and low voltage makes the sub amp shut off.. seems like that's the problem. Takes power to make power. Gotta have the car running

Your playing it with the car off and low voltage makes the sub amp shut off.. seems like that's the problem. Takes power to make power. Gotta have the car running
That makes sense. I have a smaller Kinetic HU 1200 that I could put in the trunk. With the 240 amp, the kinetic 1800 in front and a Kinetic 1200 in the back...how much power could that handle? I was thinking of adding a 2nd Rf 1200..one for each sub. Of course I wouldn't be playing this with the car off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.