rx7 engine swap

08dryan

Halo Freak
I have a 1984 rx 7, everything in the rx 7 is stock but recently the engine took a **** on me. I love this car too much to scrap so I'm getting an engine swap. The only problem is I know next to nothing about whats under the hood of a car; this is where you guys come in. I was wondering if this engine would fit in the rx 7. I know there is a lot of room under the hood but i dont kno exactly how much room i have to spare. Also I was wondering if I needed to by new suspension because of the weight of the new engine.

I love this car too much to scrap so I'm getting an engine swap. The only problem is I know next to nothing about whats under the hood of a car;
As someone who knows the very basics about automative mechanics I can tell you that you are picking the wrong car to get your 'hands wet' with.

I have never known anyone who has the newer body style but did know several people with gen1 and gen2 7's and there was a lot of blood, sweat and tears involved... before they broke down again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh:

I would suggest looking for a different platform for starting out.

the car is in relatively good shape tho, there are only 80k miles on it and if i can get an engine swap i'm sure i would turn some heads. Everything else in the car is in fine working order with little- no problems. I can't imagine just getting rid of the rx7, i feel it has potential

i say full tube chasis and slam it and turn it into a drift car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I dont think a drift car is the way to go lol whatever i do to it, in the end it will be a daily driven car. I'm gonna need it to last for a year or two atleast, I'm in college now and as most of u kno these are going to be the poorest years of my life. Once I do whatever to the rx7 i'll have little to no money to buy any other car if for chance the swap doesnt work out as i expected it to

lol @ above post

just put in another used rotary engine. you can buy one for pretty cheap, maybe around 500 to 1000$ for one that's in good condition. is your car a turbo or NA?

converting to a v8 is going to be very expensive and a big job.

also, how do you know the engine is dead? what happened to it?

later

(from an rx7 fd owner)

yea i say keep the rx7 , or look for a 2nd gen turbo II , i missed one that went for 3900 with like 60k , mint too.....very eazy to wind that car up to 13k its like a bike on 4 wheels......

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.