SEALED vs PORTED (basic info.)

advise on enclosures I will leave to the pro's i am a back yard builder still learning and not enough experience to help much... but the power cable you are using is far to small for an amp that large.. I think you are going to ned to upgrade that to 2AWG or larger or you could starve your amp or fry the wire (get hot and melt).

Mike

Thanks bro for the advice about the wires, I found out about the melting wire the hard way.. aka. smell and a little smoke..glad I had a remote kill switch installed. I'm now in the process of upgrading all my wire to 2 AWG and the power wire will be 0 gauge! hmmm I think that should do it! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I'm also doing the Big 3 this week, question?? should the cable running from the alt to the + battery be fused or not? if yes, what amp fuse should I use for 0 gauge wire? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

unless you are running a very large alt i would say you do not have to install a fuse from the alt. The upgraded power cable will reduce the amperage. If the alt goes it will be low amp high voltage that is gonna give you issues but i have yet to see a fuse for that.

Mike

hey dbfan187 i try reading your replies but the asses on your avitar are f*in me up. (nice asses)

anyway quick question, i just got into actually building boxes, i have always had them made for me and i would just do everything else, in my new car G35 coupe i made a bandpass enclosure and when i was done, i am getting a weird distortion i have never heard b4 when i play certain songs. my low freq's are garbled not much but enough to piss me off, i went over all my specs and i am coming up with nothing, but that **** noise. a couple of tips i am a noob at boxes, a little help ? !!!

If you have a bandpass enclosure it is possible that you are pushing the subs to distort. It is very easy to do with a BP box and can ruin your subs. The reason most people stay away from them is that BPs have a very narrow frequency response The up side to that is they also get very loud. If you know your tuning frequency stay within 5 hz of that and you will be fine. If you have every seen an decent XO you should see the Bandpass portion for the mids.. It cuts off the top and bottom freqs in a similar fashion.

Mike

Hi,

I'm a newbie in this forum. I just want to know how big the enclosed box have to have to maximize the sound quality? I have an Audio Mobile sub, i guess it's discontinued, so i have no information on it what so ever. It's 500 Watts Max, 300 RMS, 12". thanks for the help in advance.

I am still so confused as to what to do...

My '05 Kicker CVR is in a pre-fab q-logic 1.25 cf sealed box...

What would I gain by building a larger sealed box? What would I lose?

What would I gain by building a larger ported box? What would I lose?

I am still so confused as to what to do...
My '05 Kicker CVR is in a pre-fab q-logic 1.25 cf sealed box...

What would I gain by building a larger sealed box? What would I lose?

What would I gain by building a larger ported box? What would I lose?

sealed question........gain...more efficiency.....lose...sound quality

ported question........gain...output output output...lose....hardly anything

So I wouldnt lose anything really by going ported?

What do you mean by better effieciency?

So you think my best bet would be to build a correctly sized and designed ported box?

sealed question........gain...more efficiency.....lose...sound qualityported question........gain...output output output...lose....hardly anything

not quite..

Sealed keeps the detail and nuances of the music you are listening to..

Ported.. willl be louder but you are loosing detail.. The lower you tune the better quality reproduction of music you will get.. the higher you tune the louder it will be.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...