Should I not amplify my rear fill speakers?

Nairblop
10+ year member

Some posts I've read on here have me thinking that I might want to reconfigure my system. Right now I have an Alpine MRP-F450 at 70W x 4 into 4 ohms pushing Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 comps (100W rms, 400W peak) in the front stage, and factory shite in the rear fill (I plan on either upgrading the comps and moving the Kappas to the rear, or getting some PG RSD coaxials for the rear and leaving the Kappas where they are).

My question is this: would I be better off letting the HU (Pioneer Premeir DEH-P880PRS) power the rear fill and bridging the Alpine to the Kappa comps? Bridged, the Alpine supplies 200W x 2 into 4 ohms. Would this be too much for the comps? I also have a JBL P180.2 bridged at 360W x 1 to an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12dVQ (400W rms, 1600W peak), so maybe there is another configuration I'm not thinking of that you guys might suggest. I really appreciate all your help! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

take your 880 and your 4 channel amp and go active with them.
I'm pretty happy with the passive crossover, and I'm not sure I'm ready to tinker with going active. So at least one of you thinks that 200W would be too much for the Kappa Perfect 6.1s. Do the rest of you agree? If so, what are some budget friendly (

Some posts I've read on here have me thinking that I might want to reconfigure my system. Right now I have an Alpine MRP-F450 at 70W x 4 into 4 ohms pushing Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 comps (100W rms, 400W peak) in the front stage, and factory shite in the rear fill (I plan on either upgrading the comps and moving the Kappas to the rear, or getting some PG RSD coaxials for the rear and leaving the Kappas where they are).
My question is this: would I be better off letting the HU (Pioneer Premeir DEH-P880PRS) power the rear fill and bridging the Alpine to the Kappa comps? Bridged, the Alpine supplies 200W x 2 into 4 ohms. Would this be too much for the comps? I also have a JBL P180.2 bridged at 360W x 1 to an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12dVQ (400W rms, 1600W peak), so maybe there is another configuration I'm not thinking of that you guys might suggest. I really appreciate all your help! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
It really all depends on what you want from your mids/highs.

I was sort of in a similar situation, but I have the Alpine Type R 6.5" comps up front. I ended up going with a set of Boston Acoustic 6.4LF (6.5" mids) in the rear with my tweets undecided. I chose the 6.5"s because I figured they would handle the power better (125 rms x 4) than 6x9's with less distortion, and also due to my lack of sucess with x9 rear fill in the past. I'm using a Kicker zx650.4 on all of the mids/highs. My rear fill was designed originally just to add the midbass that the type R's lack. The addition of a Clarion EQ helped tremendously with the bass response as well. Now I am in search of some tweeters to add in the rear as well to keep up with the fronts.

I say keep the kappa's up front and then decide on how much work you're willing to put into the rear fill. The 6.5" idea worked better for me, but it also requires custom mounting rings as opposed to the drop in 6x9's. If you do go the route of the x9's, and you're looking to get loud, I'd look into the Eclipse 4-way set. I've heard them used up front before and they sound pretty good for what you pay. That 70 rms would get them screaming pretty nicely.

no, you shouldnt imo...

imo you should just do away with rears...

but thats just imo...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I peersonally amp Everything. On my real fill, I have the gains set low. True, you should concentrate on your front stage, but the Alpine is a very clean amp, and if you have the power to spare use it for your rear and keep you gains down.

I used to have my rear fills amped and then I decided to do away with them. In my current build I'm going back to rear fill w/ a 3way active frontstage (I like my music loud), IMO I like the fullness that the rear fill brings out and it adds a little to the midbass. Back to your question though, unless you have stock rear speakers I would amp them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.