should i open a shop or not?

autosportsunltd
10+ year member

ok i am thinking about opening a shop around the first of the year. The location will be in a small college town with only one other car audio shop, he just opened recently and looks to be doing well. The town is growing pretty fast due to the college turning into a university a few years back. I want to do car audio, window tinting and also detailing. As far as i know there arent any other tint or detail shops in town but there are a few 15 minutes away. So my question is does it sound like a good idea to go ahead and open the shop?

if your willing to take the risk, have business experience , great customer service, and are willing to work your ass off day in and day out to keep the business a float sure why not. but there is a chance the business could faild and you fall flat on your ass and loose out on the loan you took to open it.

-=Jason=-

ok i am thinking about opening a shop around the first of the year. The location will be in a small college town with only one other car audio shop, he just opened recently and looks to be doing well. The town is growing pretty fast due to the college turning into a university a few years back. I want to do car audio, window tinting and also detailing. As far as i know there arent any other tint or detail shops in town but there are a few 15 minutes away. So my question is does it sound like a good idea to go ahead and open the shop?
Just know that business grows exponentially, it will **** at first, but as more happy customers leave your shop, the better your business will become.

if your willing to take the risk, have business experience , great customer service, and are willing to work your ass off day in and day out to keep the business a float sure why not. but there is a chance the business could faild and you fall flat on your ass and loose out on the loan you took to open it.

-=Jason=-
Yup, know the difference between working for some1, and keeping your own business running, it's certainly a pain in the arse, but there are some great rewards to reep if you are successful at it.

I live around a University, definetly good spots to open up shops. Alot of college kids into modifying there cars.
Ex Too

Take a good look at the economy right now and really think if you want to get into a business deals with a product that has no real need. I mean yea car audio and tint is fun but who is paying for stuff right now ? If i were you i would go down to the college and take a few business classes before thinking about opening a business.

i would say no. economy sux, car audio is a luxury broke people can do w/o, and internet prices and transhippers and datboiroy will make competition rough.

the other in-store services might be okay.

thanks for the input everyone. I have been thinking about this for 3 years now and ive done alot of research. As far as the economy goes, i havent seen much change in my area. i work at a shop 15 minutes from where mine will be and they are still staying busy plus i read somewhere that WV has the best economy right now.

You'd be stupid not to you have almost no compition(SP) and college kids have money well there parents do. And who wouldn't want to own there own buisness.

Take a good look at the economy right now and really think if you want to get into a business deals with a product that has no real need. I mean yea car audio and tint is fun but who is paying for stuff right now ? If i were you i would go down to the college and take a few business classes before thinking about opening a business.
yeah im seeing more and more mom and pop business" closing due to the fact lack of cash sales. **** i got word today one of the dealerships i due glass at is going under. this is the 3rd in 4 months. ive seen so many stereo shops startup and go under within months. you have to really think about the risk involving in this. what about the money you need to invest? are you going to be able to cover your overhead? owing a business is no joke. its alot harder and there is more than meets the eye when doing it. interest rates on loans right now are fuggin killer.

You'd be stupid not to you have almost no compition(SP) and college kids have money well there parents do. And who wouldn't want to own there own buisness.
that is a valid point.

just be sure to wiegh he pros and cons of this. what happens when you do infact fall on your face? who would u be bringing down with you?

if you do infact go through with this i wish you the best of luck and hope you can succeed in this day and age

Most important thing I think is quality work. Customer service doesnt mean **** if door panels fall off. Also, OE INTEGRATION!!!! If you open a shop right now with subs and amps and speakers and basically thats it, you're a moron. That gets the younger more adventurous crowd ONLY. Ipod integration, bluetooth, HD Radio, satellite radio, Mobile video and navigation are where its all at. Not just decks that do it either. Hey I want an ipod hookup on my factory stereo. Thats easy to do, makes money, and more than kids want it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.