something draining battery....not amps...

Participant count
  • Participant list

shadow_
10+ year member

nj
I have a question. I got a kinetik a month ago, no problems. Last 2 days i woke up to a dead car. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif It stays charged while im at work but has a slow drain so while it sits overnight it dies by morning. My mechanic thought it was my amps. So tonight i got home at 11:40pm, put the dmm to it. It read 12.30 with car off. Now i went out at 2:10am and it reads 12.04. So i unplugged the power wire to the amps, and after a few minutes it dropped to 12.02. So it isn't the amps, i have no light on in the car. I'm lost. Anyone know what else can drain a battery while the car is off? I just pulled the terminals off so i won't kill it again by morning. Any help would be appreciated. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Maybe Something isnt grounded right. Do you have the big3 Done? If you do check all those connections, if not I recomend checking the engine ground strap to see if you have a good clean connection. This may work, but im not sure, at least its a start

I have a question. I got a kinetik a month ago, no problems. Last 2 days i woke up to a dead car. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif It stays charged while im at work but has a slow drain so while it sits overnight it dies by morning. My mechanic thought it was my amps. So tonight i got home at 11:40pm, put the dmm to it. It read 12.30 with car off. Now i went out at 2:10am and it reads 12.04. So i unplugged the power wire to the amps, and after a few minutes it dropped to 12.02. So it isn't the amps, i have no light on in the car. I'm lost. Anyone know what else can drain a battery while the car is off? I just pulled the terminals off so i won't kill it again by morning. Any help would be appreciated. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
sounds like you may have to trouble shoot with a light tester, its a big pain in the arse too. The easiest way I found on finding a short is using the light tester and start pulling a fuse till the light goes off of the tester and that narrows it down to the accessorys used by that fuse. But since this all started from installing the kinetik Id check your battery cables and amp power wires first.

egg

Well my mechanic found the problem, he used a dmm on amps and it was 3.40. So he removed all the fuses and didn't drop so he looked at my alt and played with the wires and the amp draw went to zero. He's not sure if they came lose or touched but there is no draw for now. Weird. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Well my mechanic found the problem, he used a dmm on amps and it was 3.40. So he removed all the fuses and didn't drop so he looked at my alt and played with the wires and the amp draw went to zero. He's not sure if they came lose or touched but there is no draw for now. Weird. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

What? e_e

Well, good luck?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.