soundstream x3 12????

djspl
10+ year member

ok so my friend manny is on team soundstream and had this 12 on a x3 4000 rms amp.

the first 2 spiders popped off the basket, and if youve ever seen these they have a plastic ring holding them down, well that popped up also. so i bought it from him for an undisclosed price lol...

io contacted SS yesterday and they said i have to pay 140 shipped for a recone. i dont think i should have to pay full price since the coils still good and its there fault the spiders werent secure.

any input? also i looked on SS site and it says high tuning is 54 hz. does that mean i have to tune there? i really like my lows so i was thinking of somehow cutting the first 2 out of 3 spiders off the coil and running it with 1 spider... any input on that?

The X3 is really made to be a burp sub. I would reglue the spiders if possible using some CA glue if that can be done, I'm not really sure what the situation because you didn't post any pics.

2011-11-14_144839.jpg

only pic as i have as of now. as you you can see theres a black ring that i tried to clamp down and glue it.

oh ok well what would that do? manny talked to ss and they wont repair it. which is stupid because he didnt blow anything, the suspension came undone so thats their fault... right? i see your on team soundstream currently? manny has 4 8 mids in his rear deck and 1 in each door, currently running a splx 12 on the x3 4k LOL

its pretty much a burp sub, and any large amount of excursion with power behind it may cause that problem at a low tuning. thats just my guess. i've heard these needed to be re-tooled or re-designed due to some issues.

not yet. its been in my trunk. im currently at a hotel. ill be going home tomorrow but the car will stay here and ill be back in a week so ill try that .

he had it in a box tuned to 40 hz i believe. but it peaked really high like maybe high 40's low 50's

In regards to SS not wanting to do anything about it, I'm not sure if they warranty their high spl burp subs like that, because I imagine burned up coils and suspension failure is quite common in the lanes if you aren't careful. I know Audioque won't refund you or fix your sub if there is a spider failure. But maybe I am wrong.

In regards to SS not wanting to do anything about it, I'm not sure if they warranty their high spl burp subs like that, because I imagine burned up coils and suspension failure is quite common in the lanes if you aren't careful. I know Audioque won't refund you or fix your sub if there is a spider failure. But maybe I am wrong.
the spiders didnt fail, they werent secured down enough. they came off the basket clean

these arent just good for burps. i heard subzeros system and his box was tuned pretty low and they sounded pretty good and got loud.
A lot of these burp subs will be fine for a daily setup but even when tuned low there is still a huge noticeable peak around 50-60hz. That's the problem I had with my SPLX

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.