Speaker failure?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Speedwagon

Up until the other day, I thought my right speaker was just being blocked by all the stuff I had on the passenger side for this trip. I moved all the stuff, and realize the speaker was not playing. Every so often, it will suddenly start playing for a bit.

So I did some troubleshooting. I thought it was probably the amp, since the amp is probably 20 years old. Swapped RCAs, swapped speaker wires. Still the same, right not working. Pulled it apart, check connections, all looked good. Swapped the right to the left, and still didn't play. Must be the speaker itself.

Is the speaker toast? Or is there some easy fix for a speaker that occasionally turns on, and sounds fine? ID CTX 6.5 4ohm speakers.

Up until the other day, I thought my right speaker was just being blocked by all the stuff I had on the passenger side for this trip. I moved all the stuff, and realize the speaker was not playing. Every so often, it will suddenly start playing for a bit.
So I did some troubleshooting. I thought it was probably the amp, since the amp is probably 20 years old. Swapped RCAs, swapped speaker wires. Still the same, right not working. Pulled it apart, check connections, all looked good. Swapped the right to the left, and still didn't play. Must be the speaker itself.

Is the speaker toast? Or is there some easy fix for a speaker that occasionally turns on, and sounds fine? ID CTX 6.5 4ohm speakers.

If you can't find something visibly wrong with the speaker it's really hard to say if you could fix it. I'd check the tinsels and terminals which are prone to failure.

How have you verified it's not the amp?

wire speaker in house to ht system see if it plays there..

If you can't find something visibly wrong with the speaker it's really hard to say if you could fix it. I'd check the tinsels and terminals which are prone to failure.
How have you verified it's not the amp?
I swapped the RCAs left/right, then moved the speaker wires left/right. Nothing changed.

I'm replacing the amp regardless, because I want something smaller that doesn't make horrible noises in winter (as described in my amp thread). Hopefully I get the amp tomorrow.

I swapped the RCAs left/right, then moved the speaker wires left/right. Nothing changed.
I'm replacing the amp regardless, because I want something smaller that doesn't make horrible noises in winter (as described in my amp thread). Hopefully I get the amp tomorrow.

Check the tinsels and see if they're loose or frayed. Check the terminals to see if they're loose or breaking.

New amp in, no change.

One of the leads on the terminal looked suspect, so I moved it a bit and it snapped off. I need to strip back the wire some, as it looks a bit corroded on the end before attempting to give it good contact again.

Each terminal has 2 wires on it, and only 1 broke off. Would that cause the whole thing to not work? (It's one of the wires that goes into the large magnet). Would that make it for the tweeter? With the tinsel wires being the woofer?

gY0oMft9v_Om3-S9_UdZLVXR5CvruEc9cBkym8V3iVQ

Last edited by a moderator:
It finally occurred to me that I can battery test the speaker. I had a AAA laying around, so I touched the + and - with no response. Tested other side to be sure. Right side is certainly dead.

The IDs have now been replaced by a much lighter Kicker KSC6504. Sounded decent at Best Buy, and I didn't want to drive 8 hours home with 1 speaker sounding meh, and no right speaker. So now I have a whole new system in the Brat. New HU, new amp, new speakers. I should be able to recess the Kickers in the doors a bit more too now, since they are normal 6.5" drivers, not the oversized ID 6.5" ones.

It finally occurred to me that I can battery test the speaker. I had a AAA laying around, so I touched the + and - with no response. Tested other side to be sure. Right side is certainly dead.
The IDs have now been replaced by a much lighter Kicker KSC6504. Sounded decent at Best Buy, and I didn't want to drive 8 hours home with 1 speaker sounding meh, and no right speaker. So now I have a whole new system in the Brat. New HU, new amp, new speakers. I should be able to recess the Kickers in the doors a bit more too now, since they are normal 6.5" drivers, not the oversized ID 6.5" ones.
what hu did u get? u 8hrs from bestbuy?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.