Speaker Ohm Ratings

Participant count
  • Participant list
As a matter of principle, you really want to have all amplifier channels outputting at the same resistance. It's just like your engine will be okay with different compressions in each cylinder, but for ideal operation, matched channels is where you want to go. That said, if the amp is 2 ohm stable (as bones said), there shouldn't be a problem. Only difference is that you'll be sending ~ 2x the power to the 2 ohm speakers.

As a matter of principle, you really want to have all amplifier channels outputting at the same resistance. It's just like your engine will be okay with different compressions in each cylinder, but for ideal operation, matched channels is where you want to go. That said, if the amp is 2 ohm stable (as bones said), there shouldn't be a problem. Only difference is that you'll be sending ~ 2x the power to the 2 ohm speakers.
The amp doesn't give a rip. The two stereo pairs are independent. Ever run a 4 channel with the rear channels bridged to a sub and the front channels in stereo on a 4 ohm load? Did the amp notice? Nope, it didn't. That's because it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't trust a HU amp to be 2 ohm stable and I **** sure wouldn't expect it to come close to 2x the power into a 2 ohm load.

So just to make sure -

I have a Alpine MRP-550 powering 4ohm PG RSD 6.5's up front. I am looking into purchasing Infinity Kappas for rear fill which are 2ohm. Am I good to hook both pairs of speakers to the Alpine?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.