SQ Fi vs. RE

Tell me then oh wise one.How many IASCA/USACi/MECA championship cars are running these beloved 9100's? NO woofer is going to sound 'natural' with that amount of power going to it...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

-Sam Jackson.
may i remind you that a solo X placed first in finals a couple years back? and yes the woofer is linear, sounds great and handles alot of power... if you want to get in a techinal **** fight so be it, but it really is one of the cleanest woofers on the market.. its extreamly over built from the cones to the motor.. sure there suspensions aren't the most linear nor the surrounds but every design has its downfalls. the 9100 is a very good soudning woofer.. i can tell you have no clue because you never heard one... people swear DD woofers don't sound good, but 1 have never heard them or 2 simply don't have experence with them in the correct application... none of them sound bad, but they all aren't made for low tuning low frequency output... one thing the higher end lines can do is blend-in with the midrange very good... they have a very fesible inductance plenty of motor strength and plenty of linear throw for there application they strive to keep mms low as possible for a given dampning and b/l and excursion..

the 9100 is a very different monster.. its a very low inductance underhung design... proven to be a very low distortion design... amoung this the cones used are more than strong enought wihle remaning light enought to keep mass down this allows them to be put in smaller boxs and tuned lower than the other lines offering a more usable bandwidth*for people who like to tune really low which the higher end lines don't really offer) a lower F3 and more output at the lower f3...

don't try to argue with me when you really don't have the experence with the driver or its design... might i add a woofer covers no more than 2 octaves out of the humans hearable bandwidth so stop with the SQ comps, btw that are so flawed its not funny...

The XXX's are amazing SQ drivers, sealed or ported, but they require HUGE boxes to do so. I mean, a lot bigger than the recommended RE enclosures. The MX's I know little about.
What exactly are your goals? Do you want all SQ? Or do you simply want to be loud, and sound good too? Your BL is what most people would define SQL, so I'm assumming you want to sound better than that. What size BL do you have? How much space and power are you working with? It is sad what these forums have come to, as these are all questions that really should be answered first.

The SX's are good woofers for what they are made for. They are not made for SQ, they are made with goals similar to the BL, to be loud and sound decent. They are not overpriced either, I don't know why you think so. The mag v4 has much different goals than the SX.:
you putting you 1 cent in...let me tell you a bit about me.. i owned XXXs SXs and DDs all the formentioned, and i can tell you alot about the drivers.. for the money the SX barely competes with most companies mid to low line drivers, for instance the DD 2500s have very similar outut and sound better... they run about 250 while the SX runs about 380 same for the RD audio sonance woofers... very close in output and over 100 bucks lesswhile being more detailed.. that is my case...

also if you noticed i recommend very low disortion drivers that sound good.. if you disagree you simply don't know what your talking about.. the flatlyne and mag are just that very linear low distortion designs, so is the 9100 even more so it has more outout than ethier...

Are you referring to the idmax? If so, they are not SPL subs by any means and are amazing SQ drivers.
here is where you strike me odd... its an amazing SQ driver yet its not really designed nearly as good as the mentioned drivers... the ID max uses a 2" coil over-hung nothing special at all in fact its 100 years old.. i will admit its a good design but does lack a couple areas, like high frequency extention.. its a small sealed box driver like alot of SQ drivers and thats about where it begins and ends..its a simple design thats simple to design that is very overpriced.. its a very cheap woofer to make, unlike alot of the designs now...the cones on the new woofers are way stronger also the new woofers have much better thermial powerhandling and use better glues.. they had a ton of problems in the past...

Good attitude, although make sure you know exactly what you want and who to listen to. I know it is hard to sift through the forums and pick out what is good and bad, but it is necessary in order to not be disappointed. The forums are going downhill and people need to understand that everything is subjective and not everyone has the same tastes.

I hope your joking.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh:
laugh all you want i know my ****...

you putting you 1 cent in...let me tell you a bit about me.. i owned XXXs SXs and DDs all the formentioned, and i can tell you alot about the drivers.. for the money the SX barely competes with most companies mid to low line drivers, for instance the DD 2500s have very similar outut and sound better... they run about 250 while the SX runs about 380 same for the RD audio sonance woofers... very close in output and over 100 bucks lesswhile being more detailed.. that is my case...also if you noticed i recommend very low disortion drivers that sound good.. if you disagree you simply don't know what your talking about.. the flatlyne and mag are just that very linear low distortion designs, so is the 9100 even more so it has more outout than ethier...
Need I say more?

You recommend very low distortion drivers? What is that supposed to mean? I wasn't aware that the subs caused the distortion, and not the amps. What was your point again? The mag has a linear low distortion design...so....what? I can't really follow. You can't spell half of your words, or use correct grammar at all, yet you expect me to bow down to you as if you know everything about woofers. Yeah, ok.

here is where you strike me odd... its an amazing SQ driver yet its not really designed nearly as good as the mentioned drivers... the ID max uses a 2" coil over-hung nothing special at all in fact its 100 years old.. i will admit its a good design but does lack a couple areas, like high frequency extention.. its a small sealed box driver like alot of SQ drivers and thats about where it begins and ends..its a simple design thats simple to design that is very overpriced.. its a very cheap woofer to make, unlike alot of the designs now...

the cones on the new woofers are way stronger also the new woofers have much better thermial powerhandling and use better glues.. they had a ton of problems in the past...
Your arguments as to why the IDmax is a bad sub is completely flawed.

First, it IS an SQ driver. Do you understand the concept of SQ, or what it even is? It's high frequency extension is low because as an SQ driver it is meant to blend into the front stage, not over power it. That is what the max was DESIGNED to do as an SQ driver. New woofers have a better power handling and use better glues therefore they are better woofers? Really? I wasn't aware. I'll go pick up my jackhammer right now! I mean, it has a high power handling and great glue, it must be an AMAZING SQ DRIVER!!!! I don't care if the price of the IDmax is a million dollars. It is still a great sq driver, no matter what the price is. That isn't really to relevant if it is still a good driver. JL audio is way over priced, yet they make solid products. Just because they are expensive doesn't make them bad.

laugh all you want i know my ****...
Now that makes me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh:

may i remind you that a solo X placed first in finals a couple years back? and yes the woofer is linear, sounds great and handles alot of power... if you want to get in a techinal **** fight so be it, but it really is one of the cleanest woofers on the market.. its extreamly over built from the cones to the motor.. sure there suspensions aren't the most linear nor the surrounds but every design has its downfalls. the 9100 is a very good soudning woofer.. i can tell you have no clue because you never heard one... people swear DD woofers don't sound good, but 1 have never heard them or 2 simply don't have experence with them in the correct application... none of them sound bad, but they all aren't made for low tuning low frequency output... one thing the higher end lines can do is blend-in with the midrange very good... they have a very fesible inductance plenty of motor strength and plenty of linear throw for there application they strive to keep mms low as possible for a given dampning and b/l and excursion..
the 9100 is a very different monster.. its a very low inductance underhung design... proven to be a very low distortion design... amoung this the cones used are more than strong enought wihle remaning light enought to keep mass down this allows them to be put in smaller boxs and tuned lower than the other lines offering a more usable bandwidth*for people who like to tune really low which the higher end lines don't really offer) a lower F3 and more output at the lower f3...

don't try to argue with me when you really don't have the experence with the driver or its design... might i add a woofer covers no more than 2 octaves out of the humans hearable bandwidth so stop with the SQ comps, btw that are so flawed its not funny...
The reasons you come up with as to why a sub is a good one astound me. Your logic is unstoppable!

If money is not an object i will throw out the

Dynaudio Esotar 1200

Also the Diamond D9 and ARC Flatline could also be considered front runners if $1400 is too much for you.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I have ran both.

What about the Fi SSD or Q? LOL about going SQ and then getting all basshead...makes no since.

If money is not an object i will throw out the Dynaudio Esotar 1200

Also the Diamond D9 and ARC Flatline could also be considered front runners if $1400 is too much for you.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I have ran both.

What about the Fi SSD or Q? LOL about going SQ and then getting all basshead...makes no since.
That's on my list of woofers to hear, along with the larger Focal Utopia's. The rest of the Dyn Esotar line has impressed me...

The Morel Ultimo can be included here, too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I loved that one...along with the Aura NS if one can be found used.

If money is not an object i will throw out the Dynaudio Esotar 1200

I have ran both.

What about them? That's why i made this thread, to get some opinions on what would be a woofer to use for my situation. I know FI makes good stuff, I have no problem going with their products, however I would like to see some opinions on other subs that can excel in a SQ setup.

That's on my list of woofers to hear, along with the larger Focal Utopia's. The rest of the Dyn Esotar line has impressed me...
The Morel Ultimo can be included here, too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I loved that one...along with the Aura NS if one can be found used.
Nice list.......Now let me say this to the OP......alot of thinking is put into a woofer. IMHO the front stage is the cream of the corn. As stated above the woofer merely produces a few octives and what I look for in a woofer is one that is transparent. Put more thought into your frontstage over your woofer.

Nice list.......Now let me say this to the OP......alot of thinking is put into a woofer. IMHO the front stage is the cream of the corn. As stated above the woofer merely produces a few octives and what I look for in a woofer is one that is transparent. Put more thought into your frontstage over your woofer.
Exactly.

Hah, that was next on my list. In past setup's I had it backwards, I had nice subs but never paid much attention to frontstage. I plan on going with what I can get a good price on. From what I have read, k2p's and mlk's are great comp sets, but I'm still not sure. Once again i'm not going for loud, nor for a set that can "keep up" with the subs. I want it to sound amazing.

Hah, that was next on my list. In past setup's I had it backwards, I had nice subs but never paid much attention to frontstage. I plan on going with what I can get a good price on. From what I have read, k2p's and mlk's are great comp sets, but I'm still not sure. Once again i'm not going for loud, nor for a set that can "keep up" with the subs. I want it to sound amazing.
If your on a budget everyone is going to recommend the RSD's, as they are a great budget comp.

$100-200 range I would say the Image Dynamics CTX165's. I think there have been a few reviews posted on here about them if you search. In the upper price ranges though, I have no clue as I have not dealt with those comps.

I still think $200 on a front stage is better spent on a set of reasonably priced silk dome tweets and some paper midbasses, nothing too fancy but something that'll teach someone the basics of how to set up a bi-amped front stage.

If you can make $100 worth of raw drivers sound amazing, then the higher end stuff is worth it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif You don't get that kind of education with generic passive crossovers...

First of all) We're not talking about solo X's. We're talking about DD's uber sq sub that nobody uses in sq that's worth their salts. Second of all Bigg's didn't use the solox's during judging you ****ing idiot. There was a sub in his dash. Put the 9100 on a Klippel machine and report back...i've got news for ya..its not as great as you 'think' it is. There's a reason why nobody uses the f'n things in iasca/meca/usaci...go ahead and try to explain it. You've got lead ears, and the only people who agree with you are the ones who hump DD to sleep at night...and swear up and down that the Z is the most amazing thing since the internet.

ps, learn how to spell. 'tard.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

kylec

10+ year member
kylec
Auburn, AL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from