stay stock or not?

Tribal_Sounds
10+ year member

OC, Cali
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pullover.gif.ac2de04a20ebe8c72a715e86e00c8c0d.gif wats up guys. This is my first time writhing here. So my questions is I have a 2000 ford winstar ( yes yes i know a van hey my parents car) which i drive till i get my own car. anyways i wanna put in a cd changer with my stock head deck cause it already has tat capabilty. if i do i tat which i want to i can have a casset player( already on the HU) and a changer. however the output for the changer on the HU isnt capable with the 1 i wanna put in which is a performance teknique 1. the adapter is square instead of circle which is normal. so i called ford up and it costs 90 bucks just for that **** harness in which in might not fit tat changer. so i already bought a installatoin kit today cause the stereo is 2 din. i was thinkin to put a normal size aftermarket stereo but then i lose my cassete player. any ideas?

ps i dont want one of those shitty HU w/tape players tat looks gay. i wanna keep the stock head unit as much as possible

Idea# 1 - Learn how to type and spell properly - it's really a piss off for people to read and respond to drivel.

Idea#2 - Lose the Performance Teknique and forget about trying to make it compatible, it is not and cannot be made to be compatible.

Idea#3 - To keep the stock tape deck you need either the expensive Ford factory cd changer or a Kenwood or Panasonic cd + the proper interface box from Blitzsafe. The aftermarket changer will not work without it.

Idea# 1 - Learn how to type and spell properly - it's really a piss off for people to read and respond to drivel.
Idea#2 - Lose the Performance Teknique and forget about trying to make it compatible, it is not and cannot be made to be compatible.

Idea#3 - To keep the stock tape deck you need either the expensive Ford factory cd changer or a Kenwood or Panasonic cd + the proper interface box from Blitzsafe. The aftermarket changer will not work without it.
not really, alot of brands have changers that are fm modulated.....

Wow. Some people got atitudes. Sorry Mr. Forbidden I didn't know English class was in session. So don't like reading it **** *****. Anyways what do you mean by fm modulated?

I have a 2000 ford winstar ( yes yes i know a van hey my parents car)
not a van, a *minivan* //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif *nose high in the air*

Anyways what do you mean by fm modulated?
He means that instead of a direct connection to the head unit, the CD changer unit has a small Part 15 FM transmitter onboard, that sends the signal via the FM broadcast band (88.1 to 108 MHz), so you can tune it in on your radio. This comes with all the downsides of FM - specifically, lack of dynamic range and bandwidth.

This neatly defeats the purpose of having a CD changer...after all, what's the point in having CDs when you aren't hearing them in CD quality? A better way to go is a small MP3 player that can be directly connected to your head unit - they're getting cheap enough now to put the old standby of FM modulated CD changers in permanent obsolescence.

I wasn't trying to burn you dude, it is just highly distracting to read things like this, that is all. Sort of like a quiet talker and you finally scream at them, would you speak the **** up, I can't ****in hear you. And get my name straight, it is Mr. Forbidden Sir, thank you. J/K

Here is the reason why I did not recommend FM modulation.

"anyways i wanna put in a cd changer with my stock head deck cause it already has tat capabilty"

An Fm modulated changer takes the audio signal from the cd changer and changes it to a fm signal that is then force fed onto a specific radio frequency. You turn the factory radio to this frequency and presto there is the cd playing. It is controlled by a separate unit that is wired to the changer. Jack Frost nailed it pretty much bang on. From what I gathered you wanted to use the existing controls for a stacker that is built into the factory head unit which is why I suggested what I did.

Yea well I just bought a HU and cd changer combo. The HU is flip down and detachable and flip down where the cassete is at, in the back. I guess that solves that problem. I guess this ways better cause someone on a forum told me that when you tap it into the fm or am station your getting radio quality not cd, so then that kind of takes away the point of having cd quality.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.