still getting voltage drop

bhsswrstlr
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Indiana
hey guys,

as it says im getting mad voltage drop. i purchase a "200 amp" alternator from motor city reman. it was rated 110 amps and idle, 200 amps at 1200 rpms. i have also upgraded the big 3 with 0/1 gauge wiring, no upgraded battery yet. im currently running a 1000/1 on my 12w7 and was planning on running a 300/4 for my highs and mids until i realized how much my voltage was dropping. Is there anything I can do to check how much power my alternator is actually putting out? What else can I do to remedy the problem?

Thanks,

Ryan

get an optima red top or a yellow top, and it will help you stay at a 12volt minimum with that amp. maybe even better. with an upgraded battery you voltage should be better with all the other upgrades you have. it's probly the weak link in the voltage drop

thats what im thinking, but i didnt want to put the money into a battery and still have sick voltage drop. any other options?

hey man the alt in my sig was from mcr too and it's now shot. they f*ckin ****. i only ran mine hard for about a month b4 the voltage regulator went to he!l. but b4 that it would hold a constant voltage with to batts and 0/1gauge wire too. these alts are no good. i'm hoping to send mine back to them soon and purchase an alt from a better company. btw my alt will only run 12.6v at idle and i have to rev to 3grand to make it put out 13.8v, and that's as high as it gets. but with my system bumpin, even when the alt was new i was getting drops well into the 9-11v range and even had my 1501d shut off on me if i ran it at .5ohm. get a new alt please don't do what i did.

Yesh, I too have heard BAD things about Motor city alts. Pretty sure it was in reference to them just beefing up stock alts to make them push out more juice. Which means, it isnt a true HO alt. Get a real one from Excessive Amperage or Mean Green.

Yesh, I too have heard BAD things about Motor city alts. Pretty sure it was in reference to them just beefing up stock alts to make them push out more juice. Which means, it isnt a true HO alt. Get a real one from Excessive Amperage or Mean Green.
X_X my pops bought a alt from them a cpl months back. its been running fine. infact i was going to call them tommorrow and see if i could get one for my car. is there any proof to this claim? if so im going to ebay.

my voltage drops to liek 10v but only when the bass hits and im playing it hard... check ur amp grounds? had that problem once //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Yup, as Dave said...MCR *****...look what's in their name REMAN.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I've heard of other problems from plenty of other people too. Same with alterstart...

Check out

http://www.mean-green.com (great warranty, 3year/300,000 mile standard, will pricematch sometimes)

http://www.excessiveamperage.com

Also, optima for starting //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I have THREE optima batteries for sale. Hit me up if you're interested.

NG

Yup, as Dave said...MCR *****...look what's in their name REMAN.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
I've heard of other problems from plenty of other people too. Same with alterstart...

Check out

http://www.mean-green.com (great warranty, 3year/300,000 mile standard, will pricematch sometimes)

http://www.excessiveamperage.com

Also, optima for starting //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I have THREE optima batteries for sale. Hit me up if you're interested.

NG

what optimas do you have for sale?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.