Stock Electrical, Can I go with a large amp at high ohm load?

Explain how a "very high output" amplifier is capable of defying Ohm's law.
Doesn't defy ohm's law the only reason I said very high output amplifier was to show that an amp that can supply 1500w at 4ohm is more powerful (AND SUPPLIES HIGHER VOLTAGE, that is the key) than an amp that does that at .5 ohms. Power = VI and R=V/I so the higher resistance at same power will be getting that power via higher voltage and LOWER current. It doesn't defy ohm's law, it is dependent on ohms law.

Doesn't defy ohm's law the only reason I said very high output amplifier was to show that an amp that can supply 1500w at 4ohm is more powerful (AND SUPPLIES HIGHER VOLTAGE, that is the key) than an amp that does that at .5 ohms. Power = VI and R=V/I so the higher resistance at same power will be getting that power via higher voltage and LOWER current. It doesn't defy ohm's law, it is dependent on ohms law.
What?

They both would be pulling the same amount of amperage.

Voltage x Wattage = Amperage

Its not Voltage x Ohm = Amperage

The 4 ohm resistance would tend to produce less anyway no matter if its rated the same as the rail system would cause heat build up.

Higher ohm rates are considered bottlenecks.

Lower ohm rates bottleneck less allowing more powerful current to pass thru, but because less efficient as power wont be constant.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

What?

The 4 ohm resistance would tend to produce less anyway no matter if its rated the same as the rail system would cause heat build up.

Lower ohm rates bottleneck less allowing more powerful current to pass thru, but because less efficient as power wont be constant.

I'm sorry but this isn't correct. I mean, google it if you don't believe me, but this is elementary stuff. Not being condescending or at least trying to be, but Voltage X Wattage does not equal Amperage. Wattage divided by Voltage = Amperage. And I never said Voltage X Ohm = Amperage, that would be incorrect. Voltage DIVIDED BY Ohms = Amperage. I can guarantee 100 percent that this is all correct. Before you tell me this is wrong, do yourself a favor and look it up so you don't make yourself look like you don't know what you're talking about.

What?

Your math is actually flawed. Voltage times wattage does NOT equal amperage, lol. Wattage divided by voltage would equal amperage

Also, Efficiency is much better at 4 ohms than .5 for 1 ohm stable amplifiers.

Many class D sub amps claim 86% efficiency at 4 ohms. It's wayyyyyyyy less than that at .5 nominal.

Any amp can be ran on any electrical system. It depends how long it will last //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Your math is actually flawed. Voltage times wattage does NOT equal amperage, lol. Wattage divided by voltage would equal amperage

Many class D sub amps claim 86% efficiency at 4 ohms. It's wayyyyyyyy less than that at .5 nominal.
Not only that, but what I said earlier about the 4 ohm at a specific wattage pulling less current than .5ohm, nobody has agreed with yet for some reason. Yes, efficiency plays a role but I'm talking about the actual laws of the universe. Even if efficiency was somehow magically the same, the lower resistance at same power would pull more current and push less voltage than the higher resistance. I will demonstrate this clearly:

Wattage = Voltage X Amperage and Resistance = Voltage / Amperage

therefore...

If Wattage remains the same, and Resistance increases, Voltage increases and Amperage decreases

Edit: need to add something...

Likewise... If Wattage remains the same, and Resistance decreases, Voltage decreases and Amperage increases

What?

Hahah i dont even know why i put it in an equation..

Ignore my equations....

But his equations are correct, but his theory is wrong...

If it was true we would have way more voltage drop at 4 ohms

Im just gonna stop posting in this thread hahahha.. I made myself look like an asshat here

Hahah i dont even know why i put it in an equation..
Ignore my equations....

But his equations are correct, but his theory is wrong...

If it was true we would have way more voltage drop at 4 ohms

You still don't understand. Hopefully this will help. Please read it man because it is simply true.

therefore...

If Wattage remains the same, and Resistance increases, Voltage increases and Amperage decreases

The "voltage drop" you are referring to is not analogous to the increased voltage you'd get at a specific wattage by wiring at a higher resistance. This is just "nominal" (if you can call it that) voltage differences from different nominal resistances at a particular wattage.

Edit

voltage may or may not change during music. When you get resistance rise or box rise at a specific wiring (nothing to do with wat I've been talking about) power will likely drop and so will current, but voltage won't necessarily change. It can though, but that has nothing to do with what I was talking about with wiring at different nominal resistances.

"If it was true we would have way more voltage drop at 4 ohms"

What?

I'm assuming the voltage drop youre talking about is the power source voltage drop. Why would you think you'd get more voltage drop when you're wiring in a way that's easier on your electrical? (4 ohms and lower current) It would give you LESS voltage drop if anything, not more.

You still don't understand. Hopefully this will help. Please read it man because it is simply true.

therefore...

The "voltage drop" you are referring to is not analogous to the increased voltage you'd get at a specific wattage by wiring at a higher resistance. This is just "nominal" (if you can call it that) voltage differences from different nominal resistances at a particular wattage.

Edit

voltage may or may not change during music. When you get resistance rise or box rise at a specific wiring (nothing to do with wat I've been talking about) power will likely drop and so will current, but voltage won't necessarily change. It can though, but that has nothing to do with what I was talking about with wiring at different nominal resistances.
YOU do not get it..

Ohms law is correct, but we are talking about an audio system.

Amp 1000 watts @ 4 ohms = 71 amps

Amp 1000 watts @ 1 ohms = 71 amps

From the battery to the amplifier it does not jump up in voltage. From these two points it will pull the same amperage.

The alternator and battery cannot detect impedance drop.

So in reality they both pull the same amperage, but the difference would be is 4 ohms maybe 88% efficient compared to 1 ohm maybe 32% efficient.

This is where all the resistance and all cause a major load on the AMP and send the produced power over to the subs or speakers.

Now if this 4 ohm amp would drop to 1 ohm then it would need more amperage to produce the power it needs. Which is where amperage needs increase.

Ohms law is 100% on electricity, but because amplifiers do not work this way you will not get the same results as ohm laws.

The only different amp that can change this is Brazilian style amps

YOU do not get it..
Ohms law is correct, but we are talking about an audio system.

From the battery to the amplifier it does not jump up in voltage. From these two points it will pull the same amperage.

The alternator and battery cannot detect impedance drop.

So in reality they both pull the same amperage, but the difference would be is 4 ohms maybe 88% efficient compared to 1 ohm maybe 32% efficient.

This is where all the resistance and all cause a major load on the AMP and send the produced power over to the subs or speakers.

Now if this 4 ohm amp would drop to 1 ohm then it would need more amperage to produce the power it needs. Which is where amperage needs increase.

Ohms law is 100% on electricity, but because amplifiers do not work this way you will not get the same results as ohm laws.

The only different amp that can change this is Brazilian style amps

Since we are talking about car audio I'm going to retract my statement of saying I'm absolutely right (if I ever said that),but with:

there must be something I am missing because you can't change resistance and keep power the same without supplying a different amount of electrons per second. If you are correct then I'm missing something huge or you're talking about a different part of the system as me because well "that doesn't math" lol. Lower resistance at a speaker and electrons will flow through it more easily at less voltage if power output is the same, this means more electron flow from the battery, therefore different amperage. Yeah the alternator doesn't detect impedance but your amplifier will draw more electrons from your power supply and those have to come from somewhere

Since we are talking about car audio I'm going to retract my statement of saying I'm absolutely right (if I ever said that),but with:

there must be something I am missing because you can't change resistance and keep power the same without supplying a different amount of electrons per second. If you are correct then I'm missing something huge or you're talking about a different part of the system as me because well "that doesn't math" lol. Lower resistance at a speaker and electrons will flow through it more easily at less voltage if power output is the same, this means more electron flow from the battery, therefore different amperage. Yeah the alternator doesn't detect impedance but your amplifier will draw more electrons from your power supply and those have to come from somewhere
Efficiency numbers are used to determine what will be output on the output side of the amplifier.

The input from the battery will most of the time always be the same for a certain wattage, but the resistance is what affects the amplifiers output.

So at 88% efficiency it is determined that it will in fact put out 1000 watts or near.

We can say the same thing about an amp that does 5k @ 4 ohms.

But in reality when it comes to power for subs we DO NOT worry to much about this as much because do you know how much a amp that does 5k at 4 ohms would cost?

Not to say we do not look at efficiency numbers.

You need to understand how amplifiers work before you can argue this.

Research rail systems, half bridge, full bridge. You will then understand a bit more.

Brazilian amps have a different take on this so thats a whole other argument.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.