Sub Box Help

shnosh

Dallas
I recently got two Cerwin Vega HED 10" Duel voice coil speakers. I was wondering if any one has a proven sugestion on the best type of box to build, specs for a box to get the most out of the speakers, or a website that has sub box plans. The subs sugest 1.0 cubic foot of air space for each, but I know that is not always what people have found to work best. Also it is going in the back of my 2002 PT Cruiser so I have a bit of space to work with.

Thanks!

Originally posted by shnosh:I recently got two Cerwin Vega HED 10" Duel voice coil speakers. I was wondering if any one has a proven sugestion on the best type of box to build, specs for a box to get the most out of the speakers, or a website that has sub box plans. The subs sugest 1.0 cubic foot of air space for each, but I know that is not always what people have found to work best. Also it is going in the back of my 2002 PT Cruiser so I have a bit of space to work with.

Thanks!
Let me know what kind of sound you are lookin for. Do you want slound quality? Do you want spl ? Do you want a little of both ? I can help you design one.

Originally posted by ramos:

Let me know what kind of sound you are lookin for. Do you want slound quality? Do you want spl ? Do you want a little of both ? I can help you design one.
I would have to say a little of each. The stock system sounds real good but it is missing both the punch of higher bass frequencies and the low boom. That is why I wanted to add the sub. I got the Vegas for Christmas and a Sony Amp (xplod xm 1502sx, I know not the best out there but it will have to do for a while) for my B-day five days later. The area of the trunk is 36" wide, 18" high and the depth I would like to keep as short as possible so I don't lose all the trunk space. I appreciate your help and thanks for the response.

Robbie

Can you swing 36"L x 18"T x 8"D. Because according to good ole Bass box pro 6. This would make a very good sealed box with great low end extension. It would be 2.14 cft internally assuming you will be using 3/4" MDF. THe measurements are external dimensions. Don't use a divider in the middle of the box. The subs will share a common chamber. Use a couple bags of polyfill. The stuff you use to stuff pillows with. Walmart has it
And wire each sub in parallel. This will make each sub 2ohm. Then run each sub to it's own channel. You will get about 190w a sub. You could bridge your amp but from personal experience I can tell you your amp won't be able to handle the load.

Originally posted by ramos:Can you swing 36"L x 18"T x 8"D. Because according to good ole Bass box pro 6. This would make a very good sealed box with great low end extension. It would be 2.14 cft internally assuming you will be using 3/4" MDF. THe measurements are external dimensions. Don't use a divider in the middle of the box. The subs will share a common chamber. Use a couple bags of polyfill. The stuff you use to stuff pillows with. Walmart has it
And wire each sub in parallel. This will make each sub 2ohm. Then run each sub to it's own channel. You will get about 190w a sub. You could bridge your amp but from personal experience I can tell you your amp won't be able to handle the load.

Thank you so much for your time and information. I will be building it this weekend and I will let you know how it works out if you want.

Thanks again!

Robbie

HA! This is funny. I just built a sub cabinet last weekend with exactly the same C-V speakers and nearly the same amp, an Xplod 760.

I went for a ported isobaric, which is tuned for low frequency response. It sounds really good. However I did not have as much room as you to work with, my box is only about 0.8ft^3.

If you build a large sealed box and stuff it with polyfill like the above person mentioned it should sound really good. You could get higher sound output with a ported setup but with that amp and those speakers the sealed box should be plenty loud in a PT Cruiser. Good luck!

Originally posted by :HA! This is funny. I just built a sub cabinet last weekend with exactly the same C-V speakers and nearly the same amp, an Xplod 760.

I went for a ported isobaric, which is tuned for low frequency response. It sounds really good. However I did not have as much room as you to work with, my box is only about 0.8ft^3.

If you build a large sealed box and stuff it with polyfill like the above person mentioned it should sound really good. You could get higher sound output with a ported setup but with that amp and those speakers the sealed box should be plenty loud in a PT Cruiser. Good luck!
That is too much of a coincidence. And it lets me know that the components sound good which is always something that you worry about when you get new stuff.

Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by ramos:
Can you swing 36"L x 18"T x 8"D. Because according to good ole Bass box pro 6. This would make a very good sealed box with great low end extension. It would be 2.14 cft internally assuming you will be using 3/4" MDF. THe measurements are external dimensions. Don't use a divider in the middle of the box. The subs will share a common chamber. Use a couple bags of polyfill. The stuff you use to stuff pillows with. Walmart has it

Thank you again so much for all of your help. I built the box this weekend per the specs that you gave me and it sounds great. A long time ago I had a system in my Nissan Sentra (don't laugh) with two Fosgate 12" and it didn't hit as hard or sound as accurate. It was great too because I built the box, mounted the amp, wired everything, and it worked first off. This has never happened to me before. It seems like there was always a 'one speaker didn't work' or engine noise or something not right. Anyway, it went real smooth and once again thanks for your help

I have built custom boxes for over a year and I have noticed that the best kind of box for a similar set as yours is either a dual ported bandpass, or a custom-fit sealed box. If you choose a bandpass, be sure that the ports are on the top, and the plexiglass is sealed properly. If you choose a custom built sealed, be sure that it is made out of MDF (Maximum-Density-Fiberboard) and sealed with an all-purpose oil based caulk. The sealed box can be made to fit anywhere desirable, if custom built. If it's a standard box, rectangular, wedge, or trapezoidal shape won't really made a difference. Either way, since the subs are in the cabin and not closed in a trunk like a car, the bass quality should be exceptional.

Originally posted by forum_punk I have built custom boxes for over a year and I have noticed that the best kind of box for a similar set as yours is either a dual ported bandpass, or a custom-fit sealed box. If you choose a bandpass, be sure that the ports are on the top, and the plexiglass is sealed properly. If you choose a custom built sealed, be sure that it is made out of MDF (Maximum-Density-Fiberboard) and sealed with an all-purpose oil based caulk. The sealed box can be made to fit anywhere desirable, if custom built. If it's a standard box, rectangular, wedge, or trapezoidal shape won't really made a difference. Either way, since the subs are in the cabin and not closed in a trunk like a car, the bass quality should be exceptional.
MDF - medium density fiberboard

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.