Sub half as loud in cold weather?

microhaxo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MINNESOTA
This is the second time this has happened. Last year i thought it happened because of a crap quality subwoofer but now this year my Phoenix Gold RSDC is about 2x quieter than in the summer. Its really annoying to play music and feel like you have a 10" running at 100 watts..

WHY is this happening?

The amp is cold too the touch after 25 min of playing at normal volume and the temperature is about 25 degrees right now, the colder it gets the quieter the bass.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

ALSO my lights keep dimming when the bass hits, even though i have done the big 3 mod, i have a 130 amp alternator and im giving 500w exactly to my sub.

Could all these problems be linked to my AMP?

SONY XM-2200GTX 1200w amp running at 500w RMS 4 ohms bridged.

Its WAY quieter, in fact in the summer i would say it was at least 8db louder.
my setup is all 4 gauge.
that is a huge difference. i doubt you are losing near that.

the cold should help by keeping your subs and amp cooler

The same thing happens to my vehicle as well.

You'll just have to deal with it.

In fact,

Temperature changes cost me a Bass Race Run before.

I gain a lot when it's hot inside the cabin.

I cant say 8db exactly but its a guess. for example: Playing the 50hz 0db frequency test before would be so loud that it was hard to be in the car, NOW it is for sure half as loud so maybe more accurately 3db less. It feels as if i have the volume 4 notches down.

I have not tested the voltage from the amp to see if it has dropped, i think i can do do that right now, if i notice less voltage then there is a problem.

I thought about that but my battery still shows 14v and when bass hits it doesn't drop below 11.8 volts.

Yet the lights still dim a lot.

So i need a new battery? Does the voltage output in cold temperatures have any indication on how it performs because it outputs 14v just like it did in summer.. And the lights dimmed in the summer as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.