Sub keeps going out. Why?

Participant count
  • Participant list

tessakae

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2015 Audi A5 coupe that was taken to a an audio shop back in 2019 to get subs installed. At this time, I had bought a Skar audio package online, it had 2 8in subs, the wiring kit, and a 1200w amp. It was my first sound system, so I just got what my friends had. The 2 8’s lasted for quite a while. They worked beautifully for over a year and those subs I did push to the max. Usually turning the bass knob 3/4 of the way up, music all the way up, and my cars media bass mostly all the way up. When those blew, I got a 12in kicker L7R, recommended by the shop. At the time I replaced the Skar with the Kicker, I wasn’t in a position where I was driving often. Within a year, the new sub blew. The shop warranty replaced it and within 6 months it has blown again. Since the Kicker was put in, the car doesn’t get driven often, the music is rarely over a volume of 10 out of 30, and the bass knob stays at the minimum. I’m not sure why the sub keeps blowing. I just don’t want to buy another $3-400 woofer for it to blow again. I’ve read about clipping, but if that’s the case I want to know how I can fix it and keep it from reoccurring. Do I need a different amp or system all together? If so, recommendations for my car?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...