Sub making a Rattling noise

Participant count
  • Participant list

ChaseT

A few Days ago I purchased a new set of subs in a sealed enclosure. It's a Cs210 JL audio 10wxv2 Basswedge. Hooked it up to my Kicker IX500.1 that was in my car from the previous owner and was hooked up to a single large 12" No-Name sub. After that sub blew I picked these up from an authorized dealer. I let them break in for a couple days then I turned it up a little on the way home and now the sub on the left is making a peculiar sound. It seems like it's bottoming out. The sub on the right sounds great. The sub making the unusual sound does not make any weird sounds at a low volume. I compressed it by hand and there was no scratching Etc. What could this be and should I simply take it back to the retailer I got it from?

A few Days ago I purchased a new set of subs in a sealed enclosure. It's a Cs210 JL audio 10wxv2 Basswedge. Hooked it up to my Kicker IX500.1 that was in my car from the previous owner and was hooked up to a single large 12" No-Name sub. After that sub blew I picked these up from an authorized dealer. I let them break in for a couple days then I turned it up a little on the way home and now the sub on the left is making a peculiar sound. It seems like it's bottoming out. The sub on the right sounds great. The sub making the unusual sound does not make any weird sounds at a low volume. I compressed it by hand and there was no scratching Etc. What could this be and should I simply take it back to the retailer I got it from?
Unscrew the sub and inspect it. Maybe the lead broke off of the spider ?

I've had this exact problem, it was inconsistent voltage for me. The sub plays nice at low volumes but when you play it louder it sounds bad because the connection wasn't good enough and the voltage was doing crazy things, check all your speaker wiring as well as your power and ground wires, it could be the lead acting funny like loudenuff said.

Hit the box with your hand or better yet a rubber mallet. If it makes a rattling noise, you have a defective box. A loose panel on the box can sound a lot like a bad subwoofer.

Or you could just be overpowering the subs. That subwoofer box is rated to handle 400 watts rms. Your amp is rated at 500 watts rms and kicker amps generally make a little more than they are rated for. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that your amplifier is actually putting out around 600 watts rms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.