Sub placement in box question (pic inside)

Participant count
  • Participant list

geonfreaq
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Im working on my box while I wait for the sub to get here and have a question I never really thought about before. This is only my second ported enclosure so I want to make sure I get it right.

IMG00265.jpg

When I add the front and router out the hole for the sub where would be the best place to place it? Should the cut out be close to the port with the back wall of the port behind the magnet or should the sub be further away from the port so the magnet is sitting with only the back of the box behind it with easy air movement in and out of the port?

Hope that makes sense //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Actually, closer to the port on the front baffle will give you the best performance. If I were putting a sub in that box, I would put it all the way to the right with the port only .75" away from the sub's gasket.

Actually, closer to the port on the front baffle will give you the best performance. If I were putting a sub in that box, I would put it all the way to the right with the port only .75" away from the sub's gasket.
Why is that? What is the reasoning? I ask because I dont know and would like to learn //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Quite right.

Why is that? What is the reasoning? I ask because I dont know and would like to learn //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
A couple of reasons... One is that it allows the box to pressurize more evenly and allows the port to be driven more effectively. It also helps drive and reinforce any 1/4 wave resonance caused by the distance from the port opening to where the driver is placed.

Alright thats what to wanted to hear haha.

The cut out for the sub will be 11.25" so should I put the edge of the cut out .75" from the inside of that port wall?

Alright thats what to wanted to hear haha.
The cut out for the sub will be 11.25" so should I put the edge of the cut out .75" from the inside of that port wall?
1.25" to account for the 1/2" mounting ring of the basket. That way you leave space to round over the port wall if you ever so choose.

1.25" to count for the 1/2" mounting ring of the basket. That way you leave space to round over the port wall if you ever so choose.
I don't understand why people round their port edges for other than aesthetic reasons. The flare is nowhere near large enough to cut down on port losses, port noise, backpressure or any of the other multitude of reasons that people use flared ports. I'm not saying not to do it, I'm just saying that I don't know why people think it's an integral part of port design.

Yea Im not going to be rounding anything over. Even if it does gain me that 1 DB //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Im not in the for the score just for the music //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for the help folks.

I don't understand why people round their port edges for other than aesthetic reasons. The flare is nowhere near large enough to cut down on port losses, port noise, backpressure or any of the other multitude of reasons that people use flared ports. I'm not saying not to do it, I'm just saying that I don't know why people think it's an integral part of port design.
i do it for the *****es, but really for the looks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.