Sub wires BURN

RoYALbLUE08
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NYC
Okay so before i thought i blew my subs before when playing music because i started to smell fire but it wasnt the subs. i took the subs out and its the wire terminals its the screw type terminals on the wood the wood started to burn because it got too hot. so i just removed the screw terminals and connected it straight connection from the subs directly to the amp. when running songs like cyberoptics pimpin the smell happens again. im using a 14 gauge knukonceptz wire for the subs to the amp terminal.

why do my wires keep burning and getting EXTREMELY hot?

I have a crescendo BC2000 and have the gain set to around 1500-ish watts on my 2 alpine type r's (handle 1000 RMS each)

as far as electrical. i just have the big 3 done with all 0 gauge and also 4 additional grounding points on the engine and an optima yellow top d35 for the engine. no capacitor or second battery or upgraded alt

the box is pretty smell but well tuned by mobile enclosure tuned to 39hz i know i need a bigger box but i will get one in a few months

again. nothing wrong with the subs the subs are superb but just trying to see if maybe i need like a 12 gauge wire in the subs to amp terminal?

Here's a good general guideline

wiringdiagram.jpg

You may very well have exceeded the amperage capacity for that wire. I wouldn't use 14 gauge for anything but speaker wire or really low powered subs.

Here's a good general guideline
wiringdiagram.jpg

You may very well have exceeded the amperage capacity for that wire. I wouldn't use 14 gauge for anything but speaker wire or really low powered subs.
i have 0 guage knukonceptz in my amps coming from the battery. im talking about the AMP +/- terminals TO the subs.

are you telling me by that chart that i should have 0 guage wires in my SUB TERMINALS? LOL. what size wires do you guys run that have thousands of watts in your car from the subs to the amp?

No one said use 0 gauge. The answer your looking for is in the chart.

If from your amp to your sub its 4 feet and you're pushing 1500 watts then you should be using 8 gauge.

The chart is pretty conservative though so I would use 10 gauge minimum.

****. How the heck would I even fit a 8-10 gauge wire in my sub banana plugs? Gotta strip the heck out of it. They barely fit a 16 gauge wire with the jumper cables in it

****. How the heck would I even fit a 8-10 gauge wire in my sub banana plugs? Gotta strip the heck out of it. They barely fit a 16 gauge wire with the jumper cables in it
There it is! Banana plugs could very well be your problem. If you are using those Alpine ones for jumpers and wiring to a certain load, pull the splines out on them with a tiny jewelers screwdriver as you want a TIGHT fit, but I don't like plugs for a reason. Or, rather much better yet, use more cable instead eg: say you have two DVC 4ohm drivers, and you want to run 1ohm by paralleling each driver's coils and then both drivers, use four runs of cable from the enclosure terminals (only if it is up to par on handling the power, if not go directly) or amplifier terminals. The idea is to split up the current upon more surface area of cable essentially. When running a decent amount of power, you want the most direct runs and more cable to reduce heat build up and voltage drop, not that it's a big deal with the output side, the latter applies more to power runs. You do not want to switch mediums that the power is running through though either way. So, even if you have some quality Knu cable, properly installed into your banana plugs, that still doesn't mean that it'll take the power especially if loose. Bad connection = heat.

Sorry I sense some brevity in this post, I'm paying attention to a ridiculously long Summer class and surfing forums. Ah, I can do this, just a bit to go, four hours has almost passed by :p

how many ft do u need, i am sure someone has some 10ga laying around that is willing to sell it to u cheap, b/c u only need it for ur subs,

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.