Subaru & Harman Kardon amp sub speaker install issues, please help.

Participant count
  • Participant list

ChillyWilly72

CarAudio.com Newbie
2022 Subaru WRX Limited w/ the Harman Kardon stereo
Autoharnesshouse 7881 30 pin
Audio Control LC2i Pro
Stinger MT15001
Kicker 44DCWC102 Dual 10" Comp C Woofer Box
Infinity Reference Ref-933ix 6x9s
Infinity Reference Ref-3032cfx 3.5s

The HK system as it came was okay, enough for me I thought initially. Then I noticed I would hear the rear 10" sub fart w/volume set above 26-28 outta 35 so I started looking into swapping out the sub, nothing would fit. I then decided to add a woofer box and amp. Wired up the amp, got a loc (lc2i pro), unplugged the old woofer and pulled signal from the sub which turned out to be way low in volume. Ended up buying a harness from autoharnesshouse which had tapped the front door speakers and ended up producing much better results, but now the subs were way too much for the rest of the stereo. Solution for this was to add new speakers, which are still not enough so now I plan on adding a 4 channel amp. I have a couple of items to fix before delving into that.

After adding the speakers I now have two new issues
1. when i turn my volume up to 24-28 of 35 depending on the music, audio cuts out completely and my LC2i turns off. (this turned out to be my fault, stock amp does not like the lower ohmage of the infinity speakers)
2. the red light on my starlink is now on and I am getting reports of error in the app (red light gone after replacing 3 ohm 3.5 speaker with 4 ohms speaker and putting stock 6x9 back in)

A little background on the subaru system:
This is what I have learned but still don't completely understand...in the harman kardon systems the head unit passes its signal (only 2 L&R fullrange) to the DCM (the link between hu, starlink, amp, etc) which then goes to the HK amp that splits and processes the signal and finally to the speakers.

The DCM, because it is linked to the cars safety services (starlink), powers and monitors the front 3.5s (you get into a crash, starlink csr comes on and the audio is played through those speakers). When the voltage drops below a certain amount, the DCM errors out (confirmed in the cars audio diagnostics screen - hold <> temp & press tuning knob 6x) and mutes everything.

Can anyone confirm that I am understanding what happens correctly and would the solution to this issue then be to place inline a 1ohm 25w resister (3ohm speaker plus 1ohm resister wired in series) so that the dcm sees the 4 ohms it wants or am i on the wrong track, I don't really know how resistance and voltage works I just want the stereo to stop having issues so I can work on adding an amp for the doors.

Thanks in advance

Jerry

Last edited:
As for which signal to use, I tried all combinations and getting signal from the dash and front & rear doors is the only way the system sounded good (wish I had a O scope or a stereo shop near me to test but went by ear)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...