Subwoofer blown or not please read

jhall05
10+ year member

Hey so i bought the nakamichi 12" and put it in the 1.2 cubic ft box hooked everything up correctly set all my settings up on headunit on max, then worked with the gain on the amp. this subwoofer would not distort at all so i had my gain pracitly at max at 0 instead of - 5, and it wouldnt distort so yesterday mourning i decide to bump some music and all of sudden subwoofers just werent on as soon as the song finished. now i have a kenwood amp and the light on it is red and i have another amp that has power to my speakers so i know the main fuse is not out, could it be the amp fuse is out, but still being powered or did subwoofers blow. i heard once they blow they make some noises and will still play but sound shitty. i just got the sub in 3 days ago lol and i never killed a sub this quick i was going to turn down my gain later on, but i had no distortion so i thought it was fine.

so what do you guys think the diagnosit is, i want to try to fix things myself or inspect myself before i find a freidn to try the sub on their amp.

thanks jared.

Did your amp maybe over heat? Was it hot to the touch? Did you try shutting the vehicle off then turning it back on to see if it came out of protect?

Well what happenes is i have a kenwood amp, and the amp is tgurning on with a red light. dont know if that is normal i never really looked the lights before. i bought new fuses. and the ground is connected to the same ground as my 4 ch amp so i dont think that would be it, im hoping its just a fuse but i dont know. my friend just said his w7 did the same thing, no signs and just shut off. and that is a hell of a sub to try and blow i think.

yea i read somewhere to put your headunit max, adn then set your gains up from their, and it wokred good for my 4 ch the gains werely barely set, but the sub could take alot of power. so i set them up to almost all teh way but i felt all the way would be too much so i did like 3/4 before all teh way. no bottoming out at all though. im hoping it is something a quick fix could handle. i got the sub 3 days ago, and before 3 days ago it was about 6 months before i bouht a new subwoofer cause my 2 jls went out some how.

I think the amp was clipping...you prolly blew your amp. You can't have your gains set that high...even though the sub can handle it, the amp cant.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.