Subwoofer Recomendation Help

cschnider
10+ year member

sc
The vehicle is a 2012 Camry SE. It's my daily driver and I'm just looking at doing a simple upgrade. My plan right now is just to use a 4 channel amp. I'm going to run a set of components off the front 2 channels and a single sub off the rear. Amp and components are still undecided. I don't want to have to upgrade the electrical system so I'll probably be looking at something like a 75x4. I had been considering the Rockford Fosgate FR Prime R400-4d which says it does 75x2 and then will do 200x1@4. I know it's not a lot of power for the sub but I think I'll be happy with it. I'm open to other suggestions also.

Number of subs preferred: Single Sub

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 10 or 12

Budget: $250

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): To be determined but probably around 200 watts rms @ 4ohm

Space available (take measurements, do not guess): I have up to about .94 cubic feet to work with. Sealed.

Goals: Upgrade from OEM. Additional bass but more sound quality oriented than just loud.

Listening habits: Mostly rock, some rap. Pop when my wife is in the car. So a little of everything.

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: Open to anything

The 12W3 was one that I had been looking at. The JL site recommends 1.125 cu. ft. though which is more than I have. I guess at .94 I'd probably still get good results. I was considering the 10" version also but I'd probably be happier with a 12 in a single sub application.

I probably need to look at amps a little more and see if there is an option that would give a little more power to the sub. I want this to be a simple setup since trunk space is important for this vehicle which is why I was trying to accomplish it with just a single 4 channel amp.

In all honesty though a 12W3 on 200 watts would probably fulfill my needs just fine.

The 12W3 was one that I had been looking at. The JL site recommends 1.125 cu. ft. though which is more than I have. I guess at .94 I'd probably still get good results. I was considering the 10" version also but I'd probably be happier with a 12 in a single sub application.
I probably need to look at amps a little more and see if there is an option that would give a little more power to the sub. I want this to be a simple setup since trunk space is important for this vehicle which is why I was trying to accomplish it with just a single 4 channel amp.

In all honesty though a 12W3 on 200 watts would probably fulfill my needs just fine.
A 10 with airspace will do well. It's not that much less cone area.

There isn't much to look at around here. Typical big box stuff. Local shop pushes RF so I did look at a punch p2d2.

I had an IDQ 10 and sold it because I figured I'd never use it. Oops.

Reviews of the JL look pretty decent so far. I'll probably spend the weekend looking through different options.

Do you always listen full volume? Do we have to bust you up about underpowering also?
With 200watts the W1 is underpowered as well. Just not drastically. Why run a sub on almost half its rated RMS? Now that is a waste of money. He will get better performance from the 12W1 with that amount of power.

He can do what he prefers.

With 200watts the W1 is underpowered as well. Just not drastically. Why run a sub on almost half its rated RMS? Now that is a waste of money. He will get better performance from the 12W1 with that amount of power.
He can do what he prefers.

Think about it.

W1 Chinese mass produced, buying the JL name.

W3 built in Florida with way more R&D.

Better woofer no matter what the power.

Think about it. W1 Chinese mass produced, buying the JL name.

W3 built in Florida with way more R&D.

Better woofer no matter what the power.
You really have a thing for China made products. LOL

Half the shiit you wear, drive, own, use is made in china. Well maybe not, you probably look for the tag on everything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.