suggestion of which Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener Mat?

slater

CarAudio.com Newbie
New here guys..
To the mods if this is the wrong area for this thread, please move.
Just bought a new 2024 toyota tacoma after being a ford engine tech for 35 years.........
Im 51 & thought I was over the mods, stereos, etc, guess not....
Im definetely on a budget & dont even want to discuss system components yet.
I feel theres no way im going to pay a shop $800-$1000 to throw some sound deadener on the outer skin & inner frame of my 4 doors & back wall, maybe throw some on the door panels?
My system isnt going to be anything crazy, either 1 10" sub or 2 8" subs, looking at quality sound in the car, not interested in earth shaking bass at this point.
So want to talk sound deadener mat as I try to do my own DD, research, etc, but I also over-think things as I feel some info you read online isnt always accurate.
Also im not in the audio industry but seems like everyone you talk to has a different brand they would recommend which doesnt help finalizing a brand, series, thickness, etc.
I dont want to add 100's of pounds to this little truck in deadener & I think I dont need the very best Resonix.
From what im reading that deadener will actually improve door speaker performance, im not really dealing with road noise as thats not what this is about...
That being said im overwhelmed & seeing contradicting info, 50mil killmat? 80mil killmat, siless, etc.
will there really be a noticeable difference between 50 & 80mil, is either one sufficient?

this article actually states that "amazon basics cld mat" which is made by DAP is better performing than killmat....
while others say its garbage.
Im not set on anything, just looking for something budget friendly not overkill, not underperforming for the effort of removing all 4 panels & back wall plastics, back seat, etc, for my effort.
I would imagine some guys here have done dozens of systems & know what works, what's overkill, what's a waste of money...
Thanks guys....🫤

https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/best-sound-deadening-material-independent-testing-data/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XMF2V77/?tag=caraudiocom-20

Resonix is the current best with Amazon and nvx being the next best for the money.

Resonix when applied correctly in conjunction with the guardian, butyl rope, fibermat and speaker seals makes for some damn good doors. And the wrapped lead sheet they sell works well to seal up doors and is very moldable. It also is a very good sound blocker for areas that are awkwardly shaped.

In my next vehicle I plan to do the resonix treatment on the doors, Amazon cld on the roof and floor, and fibermat between the headliner and roof. Currently my doors are done up good but they could be better.

Resonix ia the standard currently. That last stuff i used was the Siles 80 and 120mil

Put this on the inside of the outer door panels

This around the speakers and the foam squares directly behind the drivers in the doors

I've not used the Amazon but thought I figured the square footage was not as good as the Siles. I actually got some of the 50ml too, for really tight areas and for some of the plastic parts that butt up against metal in the pillars and in the rear tailgate area.

Last edited:
Ive had great results with Fat Mat & Fat Mat Rattlletrap 80 mill. 2-4 layers. Prepping is everything so the matt sticks and stays on, and does not peal back.

New here guys..
To the mods if this is the wrong area for this thread, please move.
Just bought a new 2024 toyota tacoma after being a ford engine tech for 35 years.........
Im 51 & thought I was over the mods, stereos, etc, guess not....
Im definetely on a budget & dont even want to discuss system components yet.
I feel theres no way im going to pay a shop $800-$1000 to throw some sound deadener on the outer skin & inner frame of my 4 doors & back wall, maybe throw some on the door panels?
My system isnt going to be anything crazy, either 1 10" sub or 2 8" subs, looking at quality sound in the car, not interested in earth shaking bass at this point.
So want to talk sound deadener mat as I try to do my own DD, research, etc, but I also over-think things as I feel some info you read online isnt always accurate.
Also im not in the audio industry but seems like everyone you talk to has a different brand they would recommend which doesnt help finalizing a brand, series, thickness, etc.
I dont want to add 100's of pounds to this little truck in deadener & I think I dont need the very best Resonix.
From what im reading that deadener will actually improve door speaker performance, im not really dealing with road noise as thats not what this is about...
That being said im overwhelmed & seeing contradicting info, 50mil killmat? 80mil killmat, siless, etc.
will there really be a noticeable difference between 50 & 80mil, is either one sufficient?

this article actually states that "amazon basics cld mat" which is made by DAP is better performing than killmat....
while others say its garbage.
Im not set on anything, just looking for something budget friendly not overkill, not underperforming for the effort of removing all 4 panels & back wall plastics, back seat, etc, for my effort.
I would imagine some guys here have done dozens of systems & know what works, what's overkill, what's a waste of money...
Thanks guys....🫤

https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/best-sound-deadening-material-independent-testing-data/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XMF2V77/?tag=caraudiocom-20
I would put a Dayton HO 10 in, and keep an eye on CDT Audio monthly speaker specials

Ive had great results with Fat Mat & Fat Mat Rattlletrap 80 mill. 2-4 layers. Prepping is everything so the matt sticks and stays on, and does not peal back.
You shouldn't need 2-4 layers I have a single layer over 90% of my application. I only have a couple of spots doubled because I spot covered with audiotechnix and then went back for full coverage.

That audiotechnix is stuck in there so good I said screw it and layered over the top.

I would put a Dayton HO 10 in, and keep an eye on CDT Audio monthly speaker specials
I'm running the svc 4 ohm ho. It's in too small if box a bp'd at 50-120hz on 700w...even though I'm using it more as a midbass up front. It has some rumble 😂 It's going in a proper box to be the main sub in the Saturn soon. Kinda excited to see what it can really do

I'm running the svc 4 ohm ho. It's in too small if box a bp'd at 50-120hz on 700w...even though I'm using it more as a midbass up front. It has some rumble 😂 It's going in a proper box to be the main sub in the Saturn soon. Kinda excited to see what it can really do
Pretty sure I'm going with the 4ohm 10inch ho to replace my adire koda 8 I screwed up. Either that or the dd vo-m10 but like you I'm using it as a front sub 50-150

Pretty sure I'm going with the 4ohm 10inch ho to replace my adire koda 8 I screwed up. Either that or the dd vo-m10 but like you I'm using it as a front sub 50-150
The ho does really well up front imo. Most days on the way home from work I only run the ho and I think it still sounds good with plenty of low end to balance out the music (even choked off 😂).

I've been doing rough cardboard mock ups in the delta and I don't think a 10 will work without getting in the way of the passenger footspace (I really didn't car with the saturn 😳) so I'm probably gonna do 2 8's half tucked under the dash.

Last edited:
The does really well up front imo. Most days on the way home from work I only run the ho and I think it still sounds good with plenty of low end to balance out the music (even choked off 😂).

I've been doing rough cardboard mock ups in the delta and I don't think a 10 will work without getting in the way of the passenger footspace (I really didn't car with the saturn 😳) so I'm probably gonna do 2 8's half tucked under the dash.
Man you know you wanna do ib 10s in each kick

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...