Helix or audio control dsp?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Best to ask at DIYMA. Tons of people there have used both with great success. Both have their positives and negatives. I have a Helix V1 sitting here but haven't dug into the software just yet since it is just sitting on the shelf for now.

Plus there is some other DSP's out there they know of as well that may work. And their classified section is always selling a ton of stuff including sometimes NIB DSP's from Helix and Audiocontrol and a few other brands.

Just looking for opinions on them
IMO It s vital one learns how they work, and how to adjust them. Something I still need to do. I ve had an audiocontrol installed, and never learned how to adjust it, so it was never changed. I have a Helix now, and I definately need to learn it, and to adjust it. Not sure which one is easier to work with, but from what I ve been told Helix dsp s software is better, and are more capable in certain situations, especially if they are matched with Helix amps.

IMO It s vital one learns how they work, and how to adjust them. Something I still need to do. I ve had an audiocontrol installed, and never learned how to adjust it, so it was never changed. I have a Helix now, and I definately need to learn it, and to adjust it. Not sure which one is easier to work with, but from what I ve been told Helix dsp s software is better, and are more capable in certain situations, especially if they are matched with Helix amps.
You will get a boatload of opinions on various types.

I will say this. Since the new release of the AudioControl firmware/interface compared to the older version that gave some people trouble and the others (and I've worked with both the Helix and the AC) all of the ones mentioned have pros/cons.

When it comes to a person wanting to get into the semi-serious side of DSP and not spend exorbitant amounts of time learning/tuning, the Audiocontrol is easier than the Helix. Since those are the two I've tried to use, those are what I can comment on. The helix does have more significant options such as different filter options and differential rear fill but it is takes a lot more knowledge of how to use it to take advantages of the extra benefits it provides - most end up paying someone to remote tune and if that is on the plate, by all means go for the Helix.

I would add that friends of mine in local shops that have used the JL, Helix and AC say the same thing. Helix is the tuners paradise, if you are a serious balls to the walls tuner, otherwise they use the JL or the AC. Not right or wrong, just shared experience.

* I will add that the AC support and available tutorial information as is the Helix are definitely top notch.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

KicktheSDbasshead

2 builds 2 feet
KicktheSDbasshead
San Diego
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies