• Thread starter <Hans>
  • Start date
  • Replies 4
  • Views 2K
    Participant count
  • Participant list
&

<Hans>

I need some knowlege help please... I am your classic audio fan who knows not quite enough about what he loves.

I am currently using an Alpine MDR-F752 5 channel amp. I have the 5th channel(387 watts tested) running a single Orion 12in. XTR3(red lettering) sub in an enclosed box. I think this sub is Dual voice coil, but I am not positive.

What is the difference between single and dual voice coil?

What would be better for my system, single or dual voice coil?

Is an enclosed box good for accurate, tight, hard hitting base?

What might be a good sub upgrade for me?

Thanks tons for your insight!

A single voice coil sub only has one pos and neg hook up on it, duals have two seperate hookups and they are usually on opposite sides of the speaker basket,

DVC subs give you the opportunity to vary the resistance that the amp sees, maybe allowing you to draw more power out of the amp,I.E. if you have a dual 4ohm sub, you can wire the voice coils in parallel to reach a resistance level of 2ohms, or you can wire them in series to reach 8ohms,

with this amp you want you sub resistance to be atleast 4ohms, alpines will play 2ohms on the sub channel but it lessens the life of the amp, and as much as you paid for it, you want to have it for a while.

Well Sir Chadwick told you all the tech. BS bu didn't leave you with much of an answer...

here's what you need to do.

get a hold of a Alpine SWR1040D-this is a DVC sub, a ten well give you tight bass in a sealed box with a good response, If you listen to alot of rap and what rolling bass go for a SWR1240D.

Wire the DVC subs in parrallel at 2 ohms, heres a little diagram to help you.

AMP (coming out as 4 ohms)

/\

/ \

/ \

(2 ohms + & - ) / \ (2 ohms, + & - )

/ \

/ \

/ \

/ \

+ Sub +

- SWR1040D -

(total 2ohms+2ohms=4ohms)

thanks for your insight you guys are awesome...

Just for the record and because it might help:

I listen to rock mostly and very little rap. I want kick drum bass.. not rap style bass. Currently my system includes the orion sub and alpine amp listed above, an alpine cd player, and I have 2 pair of 6.5"/1" MB Quarts RSC 216s. One pair in the front and one pair in the rear.

I have one more question however... are you sugesting that I run two subs. The 10" alpine along with the 12" orion that I already have? Can I run two subs off of a single channel?

Am I silly?

If you were talking about only using 1 sub then I have this second question...

What would be the benifit of droping the ohms on my sub to 2 ohm. Right now the 5th channel on my amp runs 387 rms(as tested) and the alpine sub is listed as 300 rms. I don't need the extra power from my amp. Is there another benifit to droping the ohms that I am not thinking of?

Thanks again for all the help that you've given me and everyone else on this list. Your help is truly apreciated.

Hans "the holiday gnome"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.