System just stopped working, help me?

ShinyTile

Idaho
Hey guys.

I installed my system about a week ago, it's been working well.

Consists of:

Kicker KX350.4 (Speakers), Kicker KX 250.2 (Sub), Kicker 12 CVR, 4 Polk DB651S, Kenwood Excelon X794.

Installed it last weekend, it was working great. Because I didn't have the right side ring terminals, I just dad OK grounds. Everything worked fine. Today I went to the hardware store and bought large enough ring terminals. Cut off the ground I had, fitted the larger terminals, and made a ground to the seat mounting bolt (Same ground as before, just with a more solid connection.)

Drove from my house to the store (About 15 mintues.) System worked perfectly fine.

Spent about ten minutes in the store, came out, no joy. The HU turns on, waits about 3 seconds, and I hear this loud boom/pop out of the sub. This happens in any source (Aux, iPod USB, or tuner.)

If I look at the Amps, the sub amp is "ON" constantly, and appears to be working fine. The speaker amp Turns "ON," The clicks into PROTECT at the same instant I hear the loud pop. It then appears to turn off, then back into ON, etc. The cycle continues and I hear a pop about every 7-10 seconds.

Help me?

most people who chime in here will agree we know the pop is probably from a bad ground, or so they'd say......BUT. the fact that your radio no longer works could be from a tiny strand of wire on your amp touching the chassis of the amp...which could ALSO create that POP....could have fried the amp

most people who chime in here will agree we know the pop is probably from a bad ground, or so they'd say......BUT. the fact that your radio no longer works could be from a tiny strand of wire on your amp touching the chassis of the amp...which could ALSO create that POP....could have fried the amp
Well crap...

I think the actual ground that I have no should be better than the one I had before, which was working fine, techinically. I just decided to upgrade it to a more secure and better ground...

As for my radio not working, my HU itself turns on fine, and the sub amp continues to send through the sub channel audio, if I didn't have it super turned down right now...

How should I go about diagnosing it?

so you have sound through your sub, so why would you think that something is wrong with the hu?
I didn't think anything was wrong with it... ?

I was responding to :

BUT. the fact that your radio no longer works could be from a tiny strand of wire on your amp touching the chassis of the amp.

I didn't think anything was wrong with it... ?
I was responding to :
Ring terminals are used to make a secure connection, not because electricity can travel through them better than just bare wire. Your ground before, likely was better(as far as efficiency of grounding), however was unsafe and unreliable due to the poor termination. Did you sand the paint off from the area where your ring terminal is now? Go do so and watch your problems go away.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.