To those that are ACTIVE or want to or plan to

James Bang
5,000+ posts

Hand/Ear Coordination
^
Why?

Why do you want to go active? because everyone else is doing it?

What is your goal with it? What happens after you go active?

You set the crossover points... then what?

Will it automatically make your speakers sound better just because you get to set your own crossover points?

What if you set your crossover points that's exactly like the passive crossover of the comp set (assuming it's a component set)?

What's with this new active movement?

Please try to reply without using the term "SQ."

I wouldn't go active. Hell no. I'd rather deaden two really good comp sets and run 200 rms to them.

But... I'd say the main reason I'd have is more equalizer control over each speaker, and the ability to time align things properly if tweets and mids are separate.

But I like a midbass and bass heavy line, so separating tweets doesn't help me much. Not rap type heavy, but a richer bass with trebles melded down to blend into the bottom, rather than vice versa, and to obtain that, I don't need the equalizer control so much, just more of an accent on everything below 500hz from my HU itself. I get the sound I want. May not be what everyone else prefers, but SQ is subjective. Exact sound I want.

Why?

Will it automatically make your speakers sound better just because you get to set your own crossover points?

What if you set your crossover points that's exactly like the passive crossover of the comp set (assuming it's a component set)?

I like the sarcasm. Totall agree with the point youre making.

But what do I know, I run 32 pro audio speakers in my van. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Hey james,

ok so pretend ur running a set of comps active with the same exact crossover points and slopes as the passives that came with the comps.

now so the only benefit of running them active is theres no passive equipment in the way of the signal, so its more efficient and whatever.

but could one HEAR this difference of using the passive crossover and not using the passive crossover?

I like running active because it gives you a lot more control, and you can tailor the sound to how you want it. It helps to be able to use time alignment for each driver and independent gains to their full potential. Makes for a much stronger image.

I was thinking of going active for a healthier lifestyle. I plan on eating right, lifting weights, running, and biking when I go active.
yeah, people told me that going active will make your system sound better. So i starting jogging, but didnt' notice a difference. Maybe it's to lose the fat in my ears so it'll sound better. or maybe it makes your ears healthier or something. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

One advantage of active with time alignment is that you can correct weird phasing or placement issues.

One advantage that some passive component sets have is that some perform a built in frequency shaping that smooths out the frequency response of the component speakers. In other words, some of those ultra harsh tweeters run active actually sound pretty good through the passive crossovers. Of course the big disadvantage of passive is that there is no way a component speaker manufacturer can take every single installation variable into consideration when designing their passive crossovers for the components in question.

Hey james,
ok so pretend ur running a set of comps active with the same exact crossover points and slopes as the passives that came with the comps.

now so the only benefit of running them active is theres no passive equipment in the way of the signal, so its more efficient and whatever.

but could one HEAR this difference of using the passive crossover and not using the passive crossover?
good question. Is the passive crossover suppose to change how the speakers sound? what if the speakers receive the same amount of wattage AFTER the passive xover as it would when you go active..?

I like running active because it gives you a lot more control, and you can tailor the sound to how you want it. It helps to be able to use time alignment for each driver and independent gains to their full potential. Makes for a much stronger image.
you can do that w/ bi-amping passives if passive allows

vague

x2

Why?

We heard you like SQ, so we put active SQ speakers INSIDE your active SQ speakers, for that double booyah SQ sound.
But seriously, I do it for the SQ.

hi all,

here's my 2 cents on an active setup (i'm running one)

basically for an active setup, u DO have more control over your system.

think of it this way,

the passive Xover that comes with your component speakers are like the stock ECU in your car.

u cant do anything to your stock ECU.

then you get a piggy back kinda thingy to mess with your car's settings and this gives u more " control" of your car's performance right?

same thing as goin active.

by playing with the settings on your drivers, ( tweeters, mids), you can actually get them to sound better than they are off the passive Xover.

Also, depending on application, it is useful too!

here's my situation,

i'm running a simple 2 way system with a sub.

when i have my long days, i like to chill out to the vocals of diana krall, so i hit my setting one whereby my sub is toned down A LOT( crossed at 40hz, -11db) , by mid bass crossed lower(50hz) to give me the up front bass and the tweeter levels are not too high so that my overall " highs" are balanced.

But when i'm in the mood for jeezy or gucci mane, i hit " setting 2", whereby my sub frequency is crossed at 80 hz, -2db,mid bass crossed at 80hz too, gained on the xover is cranked up for my mids and tweets,

then i drive with my windows down and enjoy the bass and piss other people off

but like tuning cars, if u tune a car's ecu wrongly, u'll kill the engine rite ( overboost or some ****)

same for car audio, if u dont know how to play with your Xover, your sound is gonna sound terrible or worse, you'll kill the speaker.

goin active does help too in a loud setup ( in my opinion), but its whether you know how to fiddle with the Xover.

as for " goin active is for total SQ",

the hardcore SQ people go passive all the way, with expensive as hell custom build passive Xovers ( my cousin had one that cost him $2k USD just for his tweets and high mids).

they want as little DSP as possible to get the natural analog sound.

my 2 cents guys

cheers!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.