Torn between 4 15"s or 2 18"s

I'm still not believing you're getting anywhere near that with port and subs coming out the front. I tried a number of different ways and there just isn't the airspace with your 49x49 base dimensions. I would say you're better off with the two 18s unless you can increase your depth by about 10 inches or so. Even still, it will be difficult to get the proper port amount and 4 subs mounted in a 49" cross section, even if the subs are set up like this:

box.png

If you angle it and keep the port in the middle, you can't get the subs mounted without having the port removable or putting them in before attaching the port. That port is also pretty **** small for 4 15s as each would only have about 35in^2 of port area. It will have transmission line properties and would probably get pretty low but the response probably wouldn't be very flat. It might get loud or it might fall on it's face. Your "V" port and sub setup just doesn't seem to want to work with your width dimensions. Two 18s, sure, but not 4 15s. Call me uncreative all you want but I still think your goal is unrealistic which is why you probably didn't hear back from the other guy.

It was simply a suggestion with having the port in the middle. Never said that's how I wanted it, just that it would be "ideal". It could be across the top, bottom, side, etc. I figured 24 cubes to play with before any displacement would be plenty for someone to come up with something.

Yea it is possible to do something with if the sub's could be mounted on top with port firing back but 4 sub's firing back with a port takes up a lot of volume. I might be able to do a side port but I kind of doubt it. At least not without sacrificing port area. Port on top would definitely not be possible because of the angling of the subs.

You're stuck on 4 15s because everybody says they will be louder but doing so highly compromises the enclosure. Don't forget that the box is just as, if not more so, important as the driver you put in it. I would bet four 15s in a ghetto box might put a slightly higher number up than two 18s but would be far less musical than the two 18s in a nice box. You said you're not chasing numbers right? Then why compromise the box? The wow factor of a group of large subs?

As far as wow factor I wouldn't say 4 15s is much wow. I think 2 18s would look bigger.

As far as loudness I'd say 4 15s CAN get louder than 2 18s. Obviously it's what you do with them that matters.

If you have the room to do 4 15s properly then yeah do that. If not then I'd say do the 2 18s.

You have 24 ******* cubes though I don't understand how space is an issue. My 4 15s are in a 13.25 cube box net (or gross... whatever is after port and subs lol). With that space you MIGHT be able to fit even FOUR 18s. You definitely could do 3 18s... 3 18s has more cone area than 4 15s by 60 square inches. An Obsidian Audio 18 needs 4.5 to 6 cubes per sub. 6x3 = 18. The rest of the cubes can go towards port and sub displacement.

I'mma be honest and say I haven't read much of the thread, I'm just talking out my ***.

Four Strato 15s on a 3K would be a good combination and it's definitely doable in the dimensions you have. I'm not a Sketchup guy so rather than try to explain the orientation of the box, here's a video of one that's shaped like I'm talking about:

[video=youtube;oKwb2IRRqTs&list=UUOhdog3E1Ut9Gxr1mJNERTA]

He had to invert two subs because those are Meso 12s and the motors are huge relative to the basket but with Strato 15s, you should be able to design the box so that all the subs are mounted conventionally.

Thx guys. I think (if I can get them to fit right) I want to go with the 4 15"s. As for tuning, I was thinking between 30Hz-32Hz max.

I'm still taking ideas, and willing to pay someone for a plan/box. I was thinking of maybe a 4th order with 2 15"s on ea side facing ea other (sealed on ea side) and the port down the middle firing into the cab.

If you don't know, the OA 18s only need 600 rms to run them. 2400 rms isn't hard and you can probably fit them. **** if I had the room I'd do it in a heart ****** beat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.