Tower speakers: How does a crossover effect the OHM load on an amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

10+ year member

IN
i'm using some existing towers and replacing the junk speakers with some off shelf ones from partsexpress. I want to get a passive crossover, not sure which one yet, and the towers each have two 6.5" drivers and one tweeter.

So if i got say a 2 way passive xover and each speaker is 4 ohms including tweeter, if i were to say wire the two 6.5's in either parallel or serial, would the amp see the calculated ohms as all 3 combined or would the crossover effect the load and the amp still see just 4 ohms regardless of wired config or number of speakers?

I just want to know if the crossover effects the load so i don't blow my reciever, which is 3 ohm rated btw. I need to use 2 mids and 1 tweeter each 4 ohms, so i wanted to make sure i wire them correctly. Any suggestions on best way to wire them?

The impedance your amplifier sees is based on the frequency. So in the tweeter frequency range the amplifier sees the tweeter's impedance (4 ohm), then in the mid range the amp will see the mid's impedance (either 2 or 8 ohm depending on if you wire them in parallel or series).

The ohm load of the woofers will have an affect on the xo point.

Lets say your 2-way xo is crossed at 2500hz @ 8 ohms. At 4 ohms it more or less.( Can't remember for the life of me-lol)

Now, when you put your meter to the terminals on the cabinet to take an ohm reading, you will only see the woofer load.

A meter uses a dc voltage signal to measure ohms and the caps on the mids/tweets(on the xo) will stop this signal.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-146

3 week old thread brah, don't think he cares anymore //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.