transmission?

Do you know if they just did a filter and pan gasket or an actual flush?

IIRC, that car still may run OBD 1 electronics so if you do go to get it tested, make sure the auto parts store has a scanner for such.

I doubt that a throttle position sensor would cause the tranny to slip. I would check the level and condition of the fluid first and also

stick you head under the car and see if you see any leaks.(the fluid should be red-ish)

Do you know if they just did a filter and pan gasket or an actual flush?
IIRC, that car still may run OBD 1 electronics so if you do go to get it tested, make sure the auto parts store has a scanner for such.

I doubt that a throttle position sensor would cause the tranny to slip. I would check the level and condition of the fluid first and also

stick you head under the car and see if you see any leaks.(the fluid should be red-ish)

alright, so i was driving down a road going 40 mph steady and all of a sudden my rpm's shoot up to 2.5-3 for no reason and i didnt accelerate. i let off the gas and they go back down but once i touch the pedal they go straight back up to 2.5-3. so i try to accelerate and see what happens but they just keep on going up so i pull of to the side of the road. i go back on the main road and everything is fine. what is the problem? bad trans?

Looking at what he is saying. His RPMS went up and with out him pressing on the gas. Then he says he went to press on the gas and the RPMS just kept going up. Like it some what sounds like slipping but then again , Do you ever feel it go back into gear or does the RPM's just keep going up. Sounds more like its not going into gear and but at 40 mph I would think you are already in 4 gear or overdrive. So your trans is at its max gears. So thats why I say get it checked. At best I would take it to your local shop. We can only really take guesses. Because I know how things come out. You explain it this way, but it might be doing some thing else buts that the only way you can explain it. Hope you under stood that lol. I see it all the time at the shop.

The part with "I didn't accelerate" sounds like tranny slipping to me. If the tranny was not slipping and the motor started to rev up, then he

would have accelerated.

If you are cursing along at 40mph and have you foot steady on the gas and put the car into neutral, the rpm will go up quite a bit from losing the load.

IF his description is good, that is a slipping transmission.

Kinda funny(not you op) but I am on my 3rd tranny for just this week at work. That and I am (and still will be) waiting on my motor to come in from Japan for this lady's GS460......if she would have just payed attention to the gauges she would have saved $$$$$.

The part with "I didn't accelerate" sounds like tranny slipping to me. If the tranny was not slipping and the motor started to rev up, then he would have accelerated.

If you are cursing along at 40mph and have you foot steady on the gas and put the car into neutral, the rpm will go up quite a bit from losing the load.

IF his description is good, that is a slipping transmission.

Kinda funny(not you op) but I am on my 3rd tranny for just this week at work. That and I am (and still will be) waiting on my motor to come in from Japan for this lady's GS460......if she would have just payed attention to the gauges she would have saved $$$$$.
Only problem is we are not there. Did the RPMs go up for minutes or milliseconds. Did it ever go back into gear. Did it drop down a gear then slam back into the higher gear. Does it happen all the time. Every day you drive the car. Does it happen when its cold or more when its hot.

And Vic I guess you never heard that few customers come in and say they just got their trans fully worked up on and my car is still doing the same thing. Just to learn it was a simple sensor that was causing the whole problem.

Oh ya I have. Just have NEVER herd of a TP sensor causing any of the OP's described problems.

Of course we can never be 100% with out having the car right in front of us to look at and drive.

But, just going on the op's DESCRIPTIONS, its pointing at some kind of slippage.

Now if he(op) has no idea of what he is describing then fine, but I am going off of what he IS describing.

Here are some service bulletins for the trannys from alldata(copy and paste)

BULLETIN NO.: 94-T-42

ISSUE DATE: October, 1994

GROUP/SEQ. NO.: Transaxle-05

CORPORATION NO.: 487104

TECHNICAL INFORMATION BULLETIN

SUBJECT:

Intermittent Engine Flares, Loss of Power and/or Harsh Shifts, PCM/TC Diagnostic Trouble Codes 22, 23, 24 and/or 26 MP6/MP7 Automatic Transaxles (Replace Intermittently Sticking Transaxle Control Actuator Valve) MODELS AFFECTED:

1995 Saturns equipped with MP6 or MP7 automatic transaxles CONDITION:

Some customers may comment of intermittent engine flares, loss of power and/or harsh shifts and the malfunction indicator lamp (SERVICE ENGINE SOON telltale lamp) may be illuminated. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCS) may also be stored in the PCM memory as a result of this condition. These diagnostic trouble codes may be DTC 22 (no 2nd gear), DTC 23 (no 3rd gear), DTC 24 (no 4th gear) or DTC 26 (TCC stuck On). DTCs are set when automatic transaxle fluid temperatures are approximately 90~C (194~F) or higher.

CAUSE:

These conditions may be caused by internal components of the automatic transaxle control actuator valve that stick. CORRECTION:

Perform the following procedure to repair the concern. PROCEDURE:

1. Check malfunction history and determine the temperature range of the occurrences to duplicate the fault. 2. Follow the procedures in the "Automatic Transaxle Service Manual" corresponding to the appropriate diagnostic trouble code(s). 3. If you find no problems after performing the diagnostics in the diagnostic tree chart(s), replace the transaxle control actuator valve corresponding to the diagnostic trouble code. 4. Verify the repairs by road testing the vehicle at the temperature the diagnostic trouble code(s) were set at, before repairs were completed.

IMPORTANT: Intermittent diagnostic trouble codes 22, 23, 24 and/or 26 are usually due to an internal clearance condition in the automatic transaxle control actuator valve and not the result of iron sediment in the automatic transaxle valvebody. Normally, sticking automatic transaxle control actuator valves do not cause clutch failures. PARTS REQUIREMENTS:

21002509 Valve-Trans Control Actuator (Color Coded Red) CLAIM INFORMATION:

To receive credit for this repair during the warranty coverage period, submit a claim through the Saturn Dealer System using the appropriate Labor Operation and Time for the work performed.

Here is one more

BULLETIN NO.: 94-T-43

ISSUE DATE: October, 1994

GROUP/SEQ. NO.: Transaxle-06

CORPORATION NO.: 487105

TECHNICAL INFORMATION BULLETIN

SUBJECT:

Repeatable Engine Flare, Loss of Performance, Delayed and/or Harsh Engagement into Reverse (Replace Damaged Piston Seal) MODELS AFFECTED:

1995 Saturns equipped with MP6 or MP7 automatic transaxles CONDITION:

Some customers may comment of a repeatable engine flare, loss of performance, delayed and/or harsh engagement into Reverse and malfunction indicator lamp (SERVICE ENGINE SOON telltale lamp) may be illuminated. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCS) may also be stored in the PCM memory as a result of this condition. These diagnostic trouble codes may be DTC 22 (no 2nd gear), DTC 23 (no 3rd gear) and/or DTC 24 (no 4th gear). DTCs may be set at any transaxle fluid temperature.

CAUSE:

These conditions may be caused by a piston seal that may have been damaged during automatic transaxle assembly. CORRECTION:

When diagnosing diagnostic trouble codes 22, 23 or 24, follow the procedures in the "Automatic Transaxle Service Manual" corresponding to the appropriate diagnostic trouble code(s). When diagnosing a delayed and/or harsh engagement into reverse, with no DTC present, refer to the diagnostic chart in this bulletin.

IMPORTANT: A delay and/or harsh engagement into Reverse may be caused by a small leak at the 2nd/Reverse piston seal which does not appear to cause any problem in the application of the second clutch. A no reverse condition may be caused by a large leak at the 2nd/Reverse piston seal. Damaged piston seals do not normally cause automatic transaxle clutch failures.

DELAY OR HARSH ENGAGEMENT INTO REVERSE

CLAIM INFORMATION:

To receive credit for this repair during the warranty coverage period, submit a claim through the Saturn Dealer System using the appropriate Labor Operation and Time for the work performed.

You never heard of bad TP sensors causing trans problems. Well they can and do. Seen it many of times.

And I am going off what the OP said as well. Just what I said get it looked at.

i checked my tranny fluid and it is good and full. but i dont think they flushed it and changed the filter when i got it checked. my grandfather who you used to race said his el kamino(lol) did the same thing and he got the fluid flushed and it worked fine.

but anyways, ever since that day i have not had the same problem yet. its been driving fine. i dont know what happened that day but im still going to get it flushed.

when i got the new motor mounts, could they have accidently pinched a tube putting the engine back in?

Sounds like the transmission isn't been making a great connection. My Explorer does a little of that, but I have 186xxx miles.
Atleast your explorer backs up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.