Twelve - 12 inch woofers please help

juschill
10+ year member

Please help wiring and powering twelve 4 ohm 12 inch legacy 500 watt continues 250 watt RMS custom subwoofer box? the box is set up as 4 twelves per section - 3 sections should I wire the woofers for 1, 2, or 4 ohms and buy 3 - 1000 watt rms amps or 1 - 3000 watt rms amp I know the amp ohms should be the same just want to know would it sound different if it was wired for 1 ohm per section and hooked up to a 1000 watt rms at 1 ohm amp or wire it for 4 ohms and hooked up to a 1000 watt at 4 ohm amp would there be a difference is sound,power draw or heat which way would be best thanks oh also do I have to buy 3 amps can I wire the box like maybe 6 twelves two channels or wire all the speakers together and use 1 amp or 1 multi channel amp or whatever works and sound best thanks again P.S no one can seem to help answer please help the car is a 1999 dodge durango thanks again

Good lord Go with the lowest ohm, Im not sure how ur wiring it but the 1ohm amp will work better than the 4ohm setup If i under stood u right. Ugh I hope u know what your doing

What ohms are the subs each? And are they dual voice coil??

I'd just go with 3 1kw amps, 1 ohm each, keep it simple, if u have the space to mount all those amps at least

or you could go with like an HK4000D, which does like 2k @ 4 ohm, 4k @ 2 ohm, so you should be able to get around 3k @ 3 ohm by wiring all of them down to 1 ohm per section and then the 3 sections in series

or you could go with like an HK4000D, which does like 2k @ 4 ohm, 4k @ 2 ohm, so you should be able to get around 3k @ 3 ohm by wiring all of them down to 1 ohm per section and then the 3 sections in series
After more consideration, this is definitely what I would do. Make sure you have enough battery power to back it up, those amps are current hogs

you should be able to find one for around 400 shipped too

I would have to agree 3 amps would be best. I use those wiring cal to get an idea, But I ALL WAYS CHECK THE OHM'S with a meter before wiring it to

the amp, And lets no forget to check the POLARITY too:)

if you dont already have the subs just go with like

4 - 12's that are better subs

and

1 big amp

if you are going to be spending a good amount of money you may as well get something better quality.

ok 12 subs..... 4ohms each

break it up into 4 sets of 3

3 4ohm in parrellel = 1.33ohms

so now you have 4 sets of 1.33ohms, break that into 2 sets of 2

2 1.33ohms in series is 2.66ohms

so now you have 2 sets of 6 subs at 2.66, wire those 2 sets in parrallel... final load 1.33ohms

wire it like that, hook it up to a bxi2608 should make for between 175-200w each

which in all honesty doesnt not sound like fun AT ALL, im thinking 4 sdc2.5's on a zx2500 sounds alot better honestly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.