Ultra budget sub build $250

Euthyphro

LA CA
I'd really appreciate some advice.

I've got about $250 and want some bass. I need everything, amp, sub, enclosure, wiring kit. After the research I've done I know this is an absurdly low amount for all this.

I've got a e34 BMW 1992 525i sedan. The trunk is big but I've heard that there is too much material between the trunk and interior to get good sound.

I'd like a good balance of sq and spl. I listen to all genres of music so I want responsiveness AND long tones.

I can make my own box and wire it up myself.

Is this impossible on my budget?

I've been thinking about a bazooka tube, but they seem too weak for my tastes.

Thanks for the help everyone.

i would suggest saving a bit more money for some decent bass. you could get a couple 12 in type r's and a box for 250 and then find an amp and wires for another 250 and youd be good to go. just my .02

If you're willing to buy used, IMO that is cutting it close but might be doable for maybe a single 10 ported or something of that nature. It depends on the components you want as well of course...

$50 for wiring

$15-20 for decent Line-out converter

$100ish for amp (used)

$40ish for enclosure, depending on tools and stuff you have already

$____ for sub...

Check this out. I just put one in a cobalt and with 250ish watts to it, the whole car is shaking and everyone I've talked to has had good experiences with them as well.

Just an option //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

In case you're interested here's the breakdown on that build:

$35 for that sub

$20 for 1 cube enclosure (I built, I use 1/2" and brace generally because lighter)

$1.33 for PVC aeroport (flared with heat gun)

$7 for 17 feet of 8 gauge power/ground wire (had fuseholder lying around)

$8ish for connectors

$20 for adjustable PAC Line-out Converter

$150 for Elemental Designs Nine.2X (totally not needed - only using one channel. had this amp lying around so I used it)

Sounds d@mn good to me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for all the quick and great input. I'm gonna do the smart thing and wait until I've got more of a realistic budget. I don't want a wimpy system with bad components. I also don't want to go used. Ill continue to lurk and soak up info until my day arrives.

Thanks for all the quick and great input. I'm gonna do the smart thing and wait until I've got more of a realistic budget. I don't want a wimpy system with bad components. I also don't want to go used. Ill continue to lurk and soak up info until my day arrives.
I think going used is the better option since here no one really use their gear for that long in the first place. It's like buying new.

This MTX set comes with two 12" subs, an enclosure and a 250 watt mono subwoofer amp all for $205 shipped.
MTX Car Audio 2) 12" Subs/Car Amplifier/Amp/Sub Box | eBay

The same seller has a 4 gauge amplifier wiring kit for $30 shipped.

BULLZ AUDIO PPAK4BL 4 Gauge Amplifier/Amp Wiring Kit | eBay

That puts you at $235 for all NEW stuff and MTX is a good brand. I know some people here knows a 5 or 10% off coupon code for that eBay store so if you can get them that'll be even cheaper.
Not too shabby.

OP, yeah those luxury cars lose a lot of output from the trunk due to all the steel and sound deadening behind the seats. Also, you could buy used, if you stick to local guys you could verify stuff working in person and get a lot more bang for your buck saving shipping.

if anything, at least get your car wired up with quality wire first. you just have to rip your car apart once and be done with it after that. wire everything into place for when you get more $$ saved up. good electrical is the foundation for a system.

It's not impossible to add a sub for this little money, at least without including the cost of wiring..

Amplifier: Jensen Power monoblock amplifier. Price under $100. Jensen is a ridiculously cheap brand, but I have no complaints about the 5-channel version. Solid build. The power ratings seem fine. The mono version is rated for over 400 watt RMS, which is plenty to power a decent sub woofer.

Subwoofer: There is plenty of decent subs for around $100. I would prefer RE Audio SRX12 because I know it works well in a reasonably sized sealed box (1 to 1.5 cu ft). You get QTC of around 0.65 to 0.8 which combined with cabin gain of a midsize sedan will produce a reasonably "flat" response. In terms of output, it will produce more than enough in a sedan.

Box: sonic sub boxes, sealed hatchback enclosure: 1 or 1.4 version, about $30 a pop, plus shipping.

If I was buying something for myself right now, I'd probably increase the budget a little, to afford MB Quart or similar amplifier and a better sub, something like Peerless XXLS, RE SE/x, or something in that class.

This MTX set comes with two 12" subs, an enclosure and a 250 watt mono subwoofer amp all for $205 shipped.
MTX Car Audio 2) 12" Subs/Car Amplifier/Amp/Sub Box | eBay

The same seller has a 4 gauge amplifier wiring kit for $30 shipped.

BULLZ AUDIO PPAK4BL 4 Gauge Amplifier/Amp Wiring Kit | eBay

That puts you at $235 for all NEW stuff and MTX is a good brand. I know some people here knows a 5 or 10% off coupon code for that eBay store so if you can get them that'll be even cheaper.
Thanks for scouting this out for me.

I've been eying that package when I saw it on Amazon.com for a little more. It looks great to me, but I'm a noob. I like that it's all together in one set and I don't have to worry about building a properly tuned box or matching an amp. I just can't believe that its quality at that crazy price.

That wiring kit is crazy cheap for 4 guage!

Does anyone have anything bad to say about this setup? If not I'll probably jump on it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.