Upgrade PunchZ to Infinity Reference - enclosure recommendations and overpowering?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ancorp
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Toronto
Got into car audio several months ago, already managed to stack up a selection of subs and amps, and now trying to figure out what'd work best.

At the moment I'm running two 2003 Punch Z 10" subs - RFZ3410 - 150w RMS at 4 ohms each, in a sealed box.

I'm powering them with a Kaption D1000 monoblock - 730w RMS at 2 ohms - giving each sub over double the power, but clean power at that. They seem to take it happily but I'd imagine the spiders and surrounds will eventually soften up. I'm very pleased with the SPL, they pound harder then anything else I've tried in the car, but the SQ feels kind of lacking, perhaps because these are such entry level subs. I feel they lack output in the lower frequencies, and just don't sound that smooth. Before these I ran a single Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 in a ported enclosure, which seemed to have a much better overall sound quality, but nowhere near as loud.

I just picked up a pair of Infinity Reference 1030W - 250w RMS at 4 ohms each. No box. I'm thinking since they would not be so greatly overpowered (around 150% vs 250%), I could run a vented enclosure, built to spec (1.75cf per chamber, 3x9" port at 28hz).

Should I expect an improvement in sound quality due to the (in my opinion) higher quality woofers, and output due to the ported enclosure?

Regards,

Alex

if the box is made correctly then yes they should be a bit louder just on the fact of goin to ported. I have used those subs in the past and they sound decent but they aren't as good sq as the kappa.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.