unOfficial 2008 alpine iDA-X--- series HU thread

The guy I spoke with @ Alpine Tech Support seemed very knowledgable, straight forward, and helpful. He said he had only heard of this issue maybe 2 other times, and its not something they know to be a widespread issue. He said if it is... people certainly aren't telling them about it.

I was told I would get a call back in up to 11 business days with a potential resolution. I told them in 11 days I may rightfully have a different headunit...

Here is to hoping for a timely resolution on that one.

The guy I spoke with @ Alpine Tech Support seemed very knowledgable, straight forward, and helpful. He said he had only heard of this issue maybe 2 other times, and its not something they know to be a widespread issue. He said if it is... people certainly aren't telling them about it.
I was told I would get a call back in up to 11 business days with a potential resolution. I told them in 11 days I may rightfully have a different headunit...

Here is to hoping for a timely resolution on that one.
Good luck with that. Do you really think that a company that made switching radio presets the way it is cares about telling the truth during phone support?

What are you hoping for? Firmware update? Dream on. They carried over all the bugs during redesign - why would they spend any effort now when the model is released?

Well... I thought I would post back now that I've heard from Alpine on the issue.

Alpine states that the IDA-X305 does support USB flash drives, its not a "supported" feature however. It is a known issue that the head unit will only mix the first 150 or so files on the drive, regardless of how you attempt to arrange them.

When questioned why their sales and technical literature, and own website state nothing of the sort, and go so far as to boast 10,000 files/1,000 folders supported via USB flash.. they have no answer.

In short Alpine does not care that they are falsely advertising features on a product, and will not do a single thing to help me out. I'm now stuck with a headunit that I purchased on the sole basis of using a USB flash drive with it, as it was advertised to do, when it does not.

I can't count how many Alpine headunits I have had over the years... but rest assured I need not add another one to the list ever again.

Well... I thought I would post back now that I've heard from Alpine on the issue.
Alpine states that the IDA-X305 does support USB flash drives, its not a "supported" feature however. It is a known issue that the head unit will only mix the first 150 or so files on the drive, regardless of how you attempt to arrange them.

When questioned why their sales and technical literature, and own website state nothing of the sort, and go so far as to boast 10,000 files/1,000 folders supported via USB flash.. they have no answer.

In short Alpine does not care that they are falsely advertising features on a product, and will not do a single thing to help me out. I'm now stuck with a headunit that I purchased on the sole basis of using a USB flash drive with it, as it was advertised to do, when it does not.

I can't count how many Alpine headunits I have had over the years... but rest assured I need not add another one to the list ever again.
my ida-x200 reads every song on my flash drive fine and its 8gb.

Does it read them all when it is in MIX mode?
Mine will read them all as well if its in straight alphanumeric playback mode.
hmm havent tried that. i never use mix mode i just sort my music into folders i wish it read the song title when going through tracks though

Hello Guy's!

I'm from Russia, So sorry for my English!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I wanna ask you for help. I've got a problem with my IDA x303. I bought IPOD nano 4g specially to play music, Podcast and AudioBooks on My IDA X303. HU work's almost great, but mess up everything when i press "Shuffle All": Song's, audiobooks and podcast. And I don't know Why!?

It look's strange, but when i press "Search", select Album Category, i see Album's and over half of Podcast there. Other half in category "Podcast".

But the podcast shouldn't be in Album, Right? I restored Ipod, But Problem the same.

I have already spoken with my tech support, and the guy checked this out and said lately that Iphone 3g work's OK with X303. And He don't have Ipod Nano 4g.

So I don't know, Is that problem of IPOD or HU?

So, I've got a few question for you:

1. When i press Shuffle All - Only music song's should be shuffled, right? It's just use the function "shuffle" on Ipod? By the way, Ipod without HU "Shuffle"song in appropriate way.

May be it work's the way it made?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

2. What do you think about that? How i can solve the problem? Maybe it's because of IPOD?

Tomorrow is the last day, as i think, that i can make an exchange, so i'm waiting for your answer's!

Are your podcasts and audiobooks show up as such in the iPod itself? It maybe iPod/iTunes issue rather than Alpine. Audiobook usually have to be .m4b files. And podcasts have to be downloaded as podcasts in iTunes.

Hello Guy's!I'm from Russia, So sorry for my English!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I wanna ask you for help. I've got a problem with my IDA x303. I bought IPOD nano 4g specially to play music, Podcast and AudioBooks on My IDA X303. HU work's almost great, but mess up everything when i press "Shuffle All": Song's, audiobooks and podcast. And I don't know Why!?

Nice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
smile7.jpg

First post here, just confirmed everything I've noticed with my IDA X100.

The Shuffle mode blows. Al Green and Bruce Sprinsteen got played a lot, sometimes it made it into the C's, some Creadence maybe.

I overcame this issue by taking my 16Gb of music and randomized it with Mediamonkey. I put it on the flashdrive all in one folder, but as said earlier, it still only picks from the first 100 or so songs. At least they were more random.

I could still live with USB Flash if it supported playlists. This is the thing that really drives me crazy.

I hate Ipods as much as anyone, but after borrowing my kids and seeing how nice the interface and playlist capability is, I might have to get one. My kids Ipod is broken, but I got it working long enough to test it, It did freeze a couple times, I'm thinking this is the ipod failing and not the Alpine.

Anyone have any comments on that? Wish I could find a cheap working ipod, dont need a working screen or headpone jack, just has to work out of my glovebox.

I like the Alpine other than this. Sounds good in my Trans Am Convertible, I could do with a little more Bass, but its good enough. I'm using the red background with a custom background, the Red looks nice.

The radio presets are not a problem with steering wheel controls, they work perfect.

My system locks up very rarely, a simple disconnect of the flash from the usb cable and plugging back in clears it up.

Thanks

Hef

anyone have a clue why my alpine ida-x200 stopped reading my ipod? 3rd gen ipod wont work also tried my 5th gen wont work either, will read flash drives still though. Anyone know about this problem?

I have a strange problem with my new iDA-X100 head unit. Basically it does not respond to steering wheel control inputs when the display is dimmed with the headlights turned on. I have the PAC SWI-JACK interface connecting the steering wheel controls in my 2004 BMW 330Ci. Everything works properly with the headlights turned off. Also, if I disable the dimmer feature in the headunit so the display stays lit bright when the headlights are turned on then the steering wheel controls work fine. Can someone who has this head unit & is also using the SWI-JACK interface & has the dimmer lead of the head unit connected please check this to see if yours does the same thing? I'm not sure if I have a defective head unit or if it's a design problem where all the head units do this. I can't think of anything else that would cause this kind of behavior other than something in the head unit. I'll probably call Alpine's tech support line but I'd like to hear from some other people first.

Thanks,

Jeff
I've had the exact same problem with the IDA X100 - PAC SWI JACK combo.

When the dimmer is set to ON in the head unit, and the headlights are on, steering wheel controllers are disabled.

Turn the dimmer off, and the steering wheel controllers work again.

Very annoying driving around with a superbright screen at night or losing steering wheel functions.

My theory is that the steering wheels controls operate by varying the resistance on the wires to the PAC SWI JACK. Turning the dimmer on must impair the head units ability to distinguish the changes in resistance. You may notice that the solid red light usually flashes on the front of the head unit when you press a steering wheel control, but it stays solid when the headlights and dimmer are on.

Anyone else???

I like to change my iDA-x305 button leds from blue to green to mach my cars dashboard. Have anyone opened the front panel and could tell me how that big double action wheel/button is attached? Should it come off just pulling?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.