upgrade my fuse?

cshaw
10+ year member

free the robots
i am now running 2 runs of 4 ga.instead of 1, to the block in the back which separates them to each amp. i had an anl 100 amp fuse from before when i ran a single 4 ga. since the fuse is ment to protect the wire, what would be the right size fuse for two 4 gauges? and if my fuse is to small, could it be restricting current through the wire?

Two 4-gauge wires can handle more than 100 amps, but there's no reason to upgrade the fuse if you don't need to. A fuse, regardless of size, doesn't restrict current until it blows.

thanks KaeZoo. just out of curiosity, how much amperage draw could 2 4 gauge wires handle? ist there a chart of some sort on this if i remember right?

300 amps is about what a 0 gauge wire can handle. im assuming two 4 gauge wires would equal to about a single 2 ga. or would it really equal to a single 0 gauge? depending on the thread count of the wire of course.

i am now running 2 runs of 4 ga.instead of 1, to the block in the back which separates them to each amp. i had an anl 100 amp fuse from before when i ran a single 4 ga. since the fuse is ment to protect the wire, what would be the right size fuse for two 4 gauges? and if my fuse is to small, could it be restricting current through the wire?
the amps that the 2 4ga power wires are feeding... what size and how many fuses are on each amp?? add up those fuses. what's the total??? that will be ur under hood fuse rateing..

the amps that the 2 4ga power wires are feeding... what size and how many fuses are on each amp?? add up those fuses. what's the total??? that will be ur under hood fuse rateing..
see i never used that method because the fuse is to protect the wire in case of a short. and the fuses dont add up to make the total amperage draw anyway i dont think.

see i never used that method because the fuse is to protect the wire in case of a short. and the fuses dont add up to make the total amperage draw anyway i dont think.
yes the fuse is to protect the wire.. and ur car... any size fuse will pop if you put it to ground.......hence protecting the wire..

i dont think i follow. so unless im pulling more amperes than my wire can handle,(which im not) it doest matter what size fuse is in there?

thanks. i have both wires going through the same 0 ga. anl fuse block. but if 100a fuse is working no need to get a 300 then? final answer here sorry lol

thanks kaezoo, thats what i thought. if i upgrade my amp and have a larger amperage pull than i do now and blow the fuse, then i will upgrade to the 300. otherwise i dont see the point. you kow

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.